Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: hello and some questions from a newbie

Mr. Cecil Fontenot of Ville Platte makes a good accordion for about $1400 (as of beginning of this past year). He is the manager of Floyd's Record Shop in Ville Platte. His are called Swallow Accordions (like the record label). I have a C made by him but not many people know about him. He learned how to make them from a gentleman named Harrison Fontenot (former player and maker) of Ville Platte who made what I believe was the Imperial Brand.

Re: Re: hello and some questions from a newbie

Harrison made 9 button accordions, does Cecil also, or are his 10?

I've been getting a few lessons from Harrison, what a character.

Re: Re: Re: hello and some questions from a newbie

Do you think Mr. Harrison would consider giving lessons to someone else. I could use a few pointers. Cecil makes 10 buttons. Does a pretty handy job, too.

Re: Re: Re: Re: hello and some questions from a newbie

Bryan, you live in Ville Platte??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hello and some questions from a newbie

I am originally from the area just north of Mamou (L'Anse Grise), now living in north texas(malheuresement). But still get down to my parents often.

I may have been misleading with calling them lessons. He is a friend of the family and longtime music aquaintance of my dad and has been spending some time with me when I go down there showing me jigs and providing knowledge, and as anyone who knows him would understand, throwing in lots of jokes and stories. I dont know that he is in the business of lessons, but I cant answer for him.

It really is a shame he was not more well known and recorded, I love his accordion playing and vocals. He seems best known for his cajunized versions of english songs, but he also did many very old ones too, some going back to Canada or France. He would make an interesting documentary. Everytime I visit him I feel like I wish I had been able to record it because there is no way I can remember all the jokes and info.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hello and some questions from a newbie

Bryan:

I would recommend you ask Mr. Cecil to tape a conversation with you--maybe several. Another poster on this board has real a knack for documentary stuff and has visited and recorded with older players such as Mr. Bois-Sec. Like you, he recognizes that these guys leave us... and often with little but memories.

You seem to have the gift of story telling, I am sure it came from the gift of listening.

Peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hello and some questions from a newbie

That an idea Griff, if Harrison would go for it. Getting him to talk is easy, but not sure about getting him to talk on record. I would love to pick his knowledge about Cajun music (its substantial), accordions, and stories in general. Thats an idea in general I have been playing with for quite a while. Even considered going to some of the nursing homes and seeing how many recollections and stories I could record, in French. Not sure how many would be interested in that type of thing but I bet some would.

If I did I wouldnt be interested in making money on it, just would like to see that stuff recorded and maybe made available to those interested. I have always been interested in older folks stories and memories, and of course, stuff having to do with this music. Hmmmmm....

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!