Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jammin with a band

Got on stage at my Christmas party the other night with a band called Cocodrie and had some fun with my accordion. Now I don't have much experience playing onstage with a band (I mostly play/practice alone on the patio) but, I got brave (or enough Grey Goose in me) and played "Kaplan Waltz", "Colinda", and "The Back Door". Must have pulled it off fairly decent, had dancers on the floor for all three songs, heard a lot of hollering, people screaming my name, and applause when I was done. I have been introduced to another world (audience feedback), IT WAS GREAT! Of course, I do realize the alcohol level is pretty high at parties in South Louisiana and any cajun tune will get a crowd going. Anyway, it was fun, can't wait to do it again. I am hooked!

Re: Jammin with a band

Fun isn't it

I don't play Cajun music personally (mostly trad English dance music), but I'm sure that the following is true of Cajun dance music as well.

When you play dance music for dancers, it sort of completes the music. The music is missing "something" when it's divorced from it's natural enviromnent.

Positive feedback from dancers (I mean during the dance; in the way that they move etc) can inspire you, let you understand the music better and make you play better.

Oh,and a litle bit of praise never goes amiss

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!