Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Travis Matte and Zydeco's new direction

the real issue here is just being hinted at...
Go to a Travis Matte gig and there is not one, single black face in the crowd.

We used to call this co-opting back in the 60s... but some of the white motown acts were actually popular within the black community.

Zydeco has its own direction, and the direction it is taking is about J Paul, Chris Ardoin, & Keith Frank. Some younger guys like Andre are having some effect, too.

What Travis is doing is absolutely irrelevant to zydeco. He is bringing a bleached version to the white audience who normally only relate to cajun & CW. His original tunes are catchy once or twice, but they bring nothing new to the table... and you can always expect to hear iko iko at his gigs.... yawn.

Re: Re: Re: Travis Matte and Zydeco's new direction

Hmmm,

A lot of interesting points. The Cajun vs. Zydeco clash doesn't usually get much attention here.

I agree that Zydeco is difficult to pull off. Once in a while, I do one or two tunes at my shows, but it's more in the interests of showmanship than anything else. I ain't no Zydeco player and I just can't do it justice.

As for Travis Matte, he's a great box player and he's clearly wonderful at marketing himself. I don't care for the songwriting at all, but his chops are more than enough to get people interested in Cajun/Zydeco. You've gotta admire the energy he generates too.

To me, though, his music is "gateway Cajun". If you like it, it may lead to the "hard" stuff.

Nick B

Re: Re: Re: Re: Travis Matte and Zydeco's new direction

I have seen alot of bands perform, and I will be the first to say that Travis M. is a proffesional. Let me tell you about the last time that I had seen a mainstream artist, he was so stoned he could barley get the words out. And you all know who I am talking about. And If you ever have the oppurtuity to talk to Travis he is a nice person, unlike alot of the other "idols" of cajun and zydeco music. Keep on, Keepin on Travis!

Thanks,
David

To zydeco fans (videos)

Incidentally, you zydeco fans may have not found these videos yet. Just go to the website above, then scroll down until you see the VIDEO chapter (middle of the page).

Christian

Re: To zydeco fans (videos)

Wow, Christian,

I've never seen that before...it's great! Where is based?

There don't seem to be enough French language sites dedicated to Cajun/Zydeco.

Nick B

Re: Re: To zydeco fans (videos)

Hi Nick,

They are in Burgundy. It's the Saulieu festival team's website. It's not updated yet but there are a few pictures of the previous years' festival (link #2).

Christian

but is this the other side of 'co-opting'?

speaking of co-opting, is this the other side?

go to a zydeco dance anywhere outside LA
[or TX], and the crowd is
white and over 45, almost exclusively..

doesn;t matter what the band is
keith frank
rosie ledet
steve riley
beausoleil

why is that?

i know in atlanta, i would expect there
to be a bunch of creoles here, it;s a very
large city not that far from LA.

but where are they?

i;ve never found them

maybe they have their own secret french
dances and don;t want to be around that
many 'anglos'.

i dunno

but is this the other side of 'co-opting'?

i assume they make more money touring
and playing outside their home lands

so who is co-opting who?

it;s like blues back in the 60s

those guys had to go to europe
to make a decent living

at some point though, it kind of came back
and all the white rock bands were like
'yeah, we;ve been into the blues all along'.

hmm..

what would really be interesting is for
travis and co to travel outside LA, and
see what they can drum up.

it must be in his plans for the future..

wle.

Re: but is this the other side of 'co-opting'?

Travis is planning to tour -- I've been giving him some venue suggestions here in DFW, so I know a tour is impending. Whether it's a tour of the lower 48 or just the Ark-la-tex, I've not heard.

The long and short of this discussion really boils down to opinions, really. My opinion is, Travis' style is a unique approach to zydeco, and he's created his own thing with it, as well as his own audience complete with its unique demographics.

Zydeco music has experienced more revolutions in the past 20 years than any other Louisiana genre. If you compare Clifton to J. Paul, it's hard to imagine the label "zydeco" applies to both equally. It's quite amazing to see the contrast. Moreover, if you look at the tools used, the Cajun box, now, is the preferred method to the piano accordion, with the 3-row as a close second. That dynamic alone has served as a sweeping change to the zydeco sound. Of course, Boozoo had been doing this all along!

So you have to wonder about guys like Travis (and Jamie Bergeron)... are they changing the taste of Cajun music or are they spinning zydeco yet another turn? Only time will tell.

One thing is certain. Pick up any Chris Ardoin and/or J.Paul Jr. disc to unveil the course of zydeco's future. They leave everyone in the genre catching up to them.

R!CK

Re: but is this the other side of 'co-opting'?

wle,
you make some good points.

1. If you are interested in seeing a creole/black audience. Go to a "church dance". Most of the white folks are too intimidated to go to them.

2. Most of the LA artists will not travel outside of the LA/TX area unless they have to. After a while it will happen.

Even Keith Frank is not filling the local clubs like he used to and is travelling.

I think of Travis' current music as "pop" Zydeco. It's catchy, party music. Even he will probably get tired of it and probably start composing more "interesting" stuff after a while.

DP

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!