Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Loudness and leathers

I wonder if the fact that I played my Martin to it's potential volume may be why most the leathers are pooped out?

It's almost like I couldn't help but play it at it's maximum volume. That's why I lower them stops!

Re: Loudness and leathers

Yes,
Jim, you hit the nail on the head!

"overplaying" can "splay" out the leathers much more quickly. And this will lead to more overplaying, because you will need to push harder to get a not to sound properly once the leathers are splayed out.

By pushing the stops part way down, you are increasing the "backpressure". This will cause badly splayed leathers to close faster, hence the better response.

You are correct, if the leathers were is better condition, you would get smooth action at lower volumes when not playing so hard.

I was amazed at the improvement it made on one of my accordions after I replaced all of the leathers. I thought the accordion played well, but after I replaced the leathers, it was a breeze! So much more responsive.

DP

Re: Re: Loudness and leathers

You just have to remember that that accordion is not an air compressor.

Re: Loudness and leathers

The more the leathers are splayed out the more air you loose before they close when you change direction of the bellows. Playing the accordion to its full potential volumn is playing too hard no matter which you say it. So you get what you got, an accordion with the leathers blown out.

Re: Re: Loudness and leathers

I can replace the leathers no problem, very simple task. I wasn't complaining about the leathers just stating a fact that an extremely loud accordion wants to be played loud in certain jam situations.

With other accordions I have I don't have to worry because the notes will bend when I'm playing too loudly and I know when to ease off the bellows

Re: Re: Re: Loudness and leathers

I'm sorry, that makes no sense at all to me.

If it's already a nice, loud accordion, it means you get to relax and NOT work so hard to play loudly and be heard.

It's a joy to relax and play at less than full force. It gives you somewhere to go for emphasis, dynamics.

"A good jockey knows that starting out full speed out of the gate is not always the best way to win a race."

DP

Re: Re: Re: Re: Loudness and leathers

Playing loud is sometimes a cover for not playing well.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Loudness and leathers

A few drinks and a loud jam session me playing pretty loud on that particular box

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!