Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Thanks Nonc D!

Nonc Dave,

Thanks for the kind words! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

-David

Joel Sonniers Accordion

To my ears, the most distinctive accordion sound out there is the one Joel Sonnier plays on his recordings and live in concert.

I LOVE the sound of his accordion! I once asked him what the tuning was on it ~ he couldn't tell me.

At any rate ~ Joel's accordion has that perfect Cajun sound for me!

Re: Joel Sonniers Accordion

Hey Joanie,
I had the pleasure of working with Joel ( sound tech).
his accordions are all dry tuned. He gets the sound that you like, by blending an external mic and an internal mic at the same time. In other words, he uses two seperate channels on the mixing board, one for the internal mic, and one for the external mic. Then they are blended together in the main mix.
That's how we did it for a live show. He told me that in the recording, it's all done with effects in the studio. .
Jude

Re: How wet are you

dry on the one rows.

fairly wet on the triple rows.
as mr david said, you don;t get to
specify that, usually.

another thing on the one rows is,
what kind of intervals do you want?

equal tempered, like a piano,
or more tuned for sweetness,
or some compromise..?

mine are i think slightly in the
middle..

this applies to the notes E and A
mostly, i think.
C, F, G, D, and B have to be
pretty close to even tempered, i think.

or maybe they adjust the B
a little...

wle.

Re: Re: How wet are you

I recently had Jr Martin "wetten" my Bb box.
Since there are few people I know here in NY that can give me examples of the sound to expect I talked w/ Jr and he convinced me to go with 7 cents.
Apparetnly one method is to only do this to one of the middle range reed blocks. Pushing that one in later you can play on a dry box w/ the 3 dry.

I came back sounding pretty good. The odd part is that when I try to figure out what one block he worked on its hard to figure cause alone they both sound dry. With both up I can hear the wet effect for sure.
Would this be cause he actually would tune each M block slightly in equal opposite directions?

He mentioned that most of the zydeco players go with 15 cents wet. Im considering having a D box worked on cause I like the wetter sound, not sure if I should go all that way to 15 though. Most likely I'll be playing along with some folkie and irish acoustic guitar and fiddle players but I will also be playing it with an electric band on some New Riders of the Purple Sage type stuff or other more "rocking" type music.

What are the "normal" ranges that folks are aware of.
Is there a big difference in the wetness of an irish one or two row and of one you would play Canadian or American folk tunes on ?

What meens " cajun standart "

Can somebody tell to me what meens cajun standart tuning.

Re: What meens " cajun standart "

Are you "all wet" ? .... well never mind.

I am dry on 3 boxes (C, D & Bb), and semi wet on one other.

Jude Moreau tells me I am at about 5 cents on my black/blonde C box which he placed his magic on for me back a ways.

5 cents wet, yep... I like it and it suits the Antonelli reeds dandy with a good responsive ring that is just right for my ole goaty ears!

Fact of the matter is: I would not mind and would like to explore having my D and Bb tapped into this 5 cent thing as well... to me, it is a great sound.

The alternative perhaps, would be to purchase new accordions off the bench tuned to this semi wet thing from the get go. That in itself, is a hard sell to Ms. Linda in these costly accordion times. Anyone have a handle on the winning loto numbers here on the left side, by chance?? Eh?

Bon Chance
Nonc D

Re: What meens " cajun standart "

Wet or dry tuning aside, when you play a C or a G chord on a one row C accordion, there are no pulses between the notes. That means if you compare the E note and the B note to a piano, those notes would be about 15 cents flatter than the piano (there are 100 cents between semitones).
There are many, many types of tunings, and all of them are a comprosise of some sort, because of the nature of frequencies and how they respond to each other.
Steve

what does 'cajun standard' refer to - intervals, or 'humidity'?

there are 2 different things going on with tunings

1. interval temperament - will it have
'pure thirds' that don;t 'beat', or will
it be tuned exactly like a piano, or guitar..

2. wet/dry

i have never known - exactly what does 'cajun standard' refer to - intervals, or 'humidity'?

wle.

intervals, or 'humidity'? - both

It is both, at least that is how it has been explained to me. The two components of Cajun Standard tuning are:

1) Use of the "just" tempered scale intervals.
2) Relatively dry tuned (~5 cents sharp) on the second set of middle reeds.

I am sure that different builders have different opinions on this subject, but this is what I have been told by several of them. They don't all use the same terminology, but that is what it boils down to.

-David

Re: Re: Re: How wet are you ? Wet and Sea !

It dee-pens iv yo fell or not in ze bayo wiz your skizz box !

Signed with an X by Telesphore Boudreaux,
Mayor of Bayou Pon Pon

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!