Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Duralde Waltz/Long Pt. Two Step on Les Amis Creole

Sorry for the cross posting!

You can find more professional reviews of the cd, I am sure, but I just want to single out two of the songs on this cd: Duralde Waltz, and Long Point Two Step. That pair of tunes would have made a nice single, side A and side B! For me, they are the emotional high points of this new cd.

The credits aren't clear, so I don't know who plays lead fiddle and second fiddle on Duralde Waltz, but I want to compliment the second fiddler for just about the prettiest line I have heard in a long long time! Beautiful! Cedric sings, so my guess is he plays lead and Ed plays that complicated second line while the lead pauses on fiddle. Can't imagine Cedric singing and playing that mature fiddle line simultaneously. When a fiddler sings and plays at the same time, it's usually just what they called buzzing. But this line? Magnificent!

Right after that is Ambrose Thibodeaux's Long Point Two Step (from the yellow lp, More Authentic Acadian French Music on La Louisianne.) What fun!! I nickname this tune Two Step Sans Finission (Two Step without Finish) because it fades out on the Ambrose lp, and fades out on this cd. I can't remember ever hearing this song played to completion! Never mind, I don't want it to end; it should just go on and on and on! What a catchy tune! Done funkier and with a different attitude than the great Ambrose version. Ed told me his father really liked Ambrose's style, so I shouldn't have been surprised to see this great tune included.

Those two tunes alone make this cd one of my favorites this year!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!