Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chords

For everybody on this forum the best wishes for 2007.
And be carefull with all the firework !!!!

Thanks for the list.
On the previous page there's also an item about chords.
When do you play chords on a Cajun-accordion.
1. When the fiddle or other instruments have a solo ?
2. During the vocals?

What is the best way to play chords.
1. Similar as the bass-side ?
2. Just push the buttons the that a chord takes ?

We play without drums and bass, so I allways play the bass-side of the accordion.
Even if it didn't match with the guitar.
Some people are getting crazy when they hear that and never getting familiar with it.
Hey, you're playing false.

Re: Re: Chords

Ron,
Don't get confused about the term " chords" when we speak of them being used in playing the accordion.
The term is not refering to the same use, as in playing guitar. I suppose that it be less confussing if we used the term "blends" instead. Technicaly, they are chords, but when we use them in the melody of the tune, they are not being used as an accompliment to another lead instrument and probably would more correctly be called "blends".
They are used when playing the melody of the song and are a substitute for, the single note of the melody at that point and time of the tune.
Hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.
Jude

Re: Re: Re: Chords

Thanks Jude, This explanation helped me a lot. I now understand. I can stop trying to play rythum guitar on my accordion. Whew! I thought I was missing something. By the way, I have a Falcon, Martin, and Bon Temps and routinely play the Bon Temps because of the sound and the key board action and response. You seem to have just the right measurements on the keyboard for quick action.

Re: Re: Re: Chords

Jude,
Thanks for the information.
I think that I understand it now.
In my former band I play also banjo and there I play chords(when someone is singing) like you say on the guitar.
On the accordion I play the chords/blends when I'm playing a melody of a tune.
I use the buttons that are mentioned in an earlier item.
I'm getting more knowledge every day on this forum.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!