Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Screwed?

Maybe the high temperature in Louisiana is the reason for screws ?
How were the old German (Sterling,Monarch,Hohner)constructed ?
Who was the first builder that use screws ?
In summertime I'm allways very carefull with my waxed reeds and all the sunshine.

Re: Re: Re: Screwed?

I have a Hohner Club lll M apart on the bench right now. It has small brads holding the reeds in. Many of the older boxes I've had apart use this method of securing the reeds.

I sold a LA handmade accordion from a builder who does not secure his reeds, using wax only. Some of the reeds came off in shipping. I gave the buyer a substantial rebate to cover repairs, but neither of us ended up happy. I recommend screws.

Re: Re: Re: Screwed?

I know Sterling bought Monarch, and the factory produce the Eagle brand. I have a very old Eagle in F, and all the reeds are mounted on one brass frame. Maybe someone could give the history of when reeds started to be installed indivdually.
As much as I try to keep my accordions in a healthy environment, it doesn't always work out that way. Over the summer, we did a few outdoor festivals. Beforehand, everything is is the shade, but during the set, a couple places were out in the open with no stage cover, and it was HOT. But screws aside, I'm more concerned about winters around here, trying to aclimate the accordions to room temp before playing them is tough sometimes - lugging them out of the house into the cold, into the van, etc etc.
Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Screwed?

they started to place separate reeds around 1928
before that time it was a full plate.

wilfred

Re: Screwed?

I believe it was Marc Savoy who probably was the first builder in Louisiana, to use screws to hold the reed plates. I know Sidney Brown didn't use them, nor did Charlie Ortego. In the the beginning, Marc was using the screws to hold the reed plates on a bed of felt or leather. There was no wax at all. At some point, he abandoned the idea of the felt/leather, and started using wax to seal the plate, but still uses the screws.
Yes, the screws are an added "insurence" against the plates falling out of place, but they are time consuming to deal with. I didn't used to put them in on my accordions. I had heard all sorts of reasons why Marc was screwing the reeds down. Some one told me that it made a difference in the sound of the reeds.
So...... I did a little experiment of my own. On the next accordion I built, I installed the reeds as usual, wax, no screws. I tuned the reeds. I played the accordion. I listened to the tone and overall sound. I then installed screws . I played the accordion. I listened to the tone and overall sound.
Absolutly no difference what so ever.
A good friend of mine asked me to install the screws on one of his accordions ( Magnolia ) because he thought he get more volume from it. Same result, no difference. The only conclusion I could come to is, the screws serve only to help hold the plates in place.
A good idea if the accordion is to be shipped, so I do use them on my accordions now.

Jude

Re: Re: Screwed?

Screws and small nails had been used on all types of accordions and concertinas in the past dating back many years. However now it seems that even on high quality professional piano accordions wax does the job.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!