Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Calling all Builders.... what's going on ?

Jude gets big points for contributing generously for sure! But I can't hold it against other builders if they might just be performing, making accordions, cooking some etoufee, spending time with their family, making a mask for the next courir, reading a good book, or otherwise filling their time.

Not many of us get to the chance to sit on the porch (or, up north here, sit by the fire) with fellow players, so I am very happy to be able to sit on this virtual porch with Nonc and Jude and everybody and chew the proverbial fat. So count us lucky!
S'b'B

Cornered, hugh!!!!!!,

You don't mean, like my beloved "corners", you know what I mean, right? .

Happy new year everyone.

Claude.

Cornered??? Boxed or mitered??? Oops, gotta go... -L-

Re: Calling all Builders.... what's going on ?

I frequent another forum devoted to mandolins...there, many take delight in bashing Gibson - usually because they dislike that Gibson is a commercial enterprise that expects to sell what it makes for a profit. (translate: money grubbing)

Many of those who post negative comments there do so, I'm convinced, because they are anonymous and their credibility cannot be challenged. Nevertheless, in the beginning, Gibson managers tried valiantly to respond to the barbs...then, the posters would criticize the responses...further creating negative PR for Gibson.

In recent months, Gibson has decided to ignore the majority of the posts related to their company or products.

If I were a small builder of accordions, there is NO WAY I'd expose myself or my products to the anonymous
critics on an internet forum.

Far better would be to have Jonie set up a separate set of links to builder's www. sites -- allowing visitors to make up their own minds.

Re: Calling all Builders.... what's going on ?

Uncle D, Good Thoughts. But...
I got a brand new La Capitaine from Danny Dysen about 2 months ago. Paid for up front, than sat back and exercized patience. Took him over 18 months to build. It was worth the wait, especially after playng an Arrietta for 3 years. Danny works at the Plant all day, then comes home and works on boxes. He figures that he makes about $ 8.00 per hour building accordions, and he told me he was getting tired of it. Probably doesn't have the time like an old geezer like me to piddle around answering e-mails in a chat box. Sorry about your flu. It's definitely going around.
JB

Re: Re: Calling all Builders.... what's going on ? JB

Yeah hey there JB... Nah, I understand busy and all.
It is just one of those "I wish" sorta things to spark those builders to yap with us as part of brave net enlightenment. That Arrietta box is one way to make ya appreciate Danny's creation for sure, as there is a world of differance.

What I suspect:
I doubt very few builders isolate their incomes strictly on accordions... like musicians, they have day jobs in order to scratch out a living in these costly times.

What I wish:
Still, would'nt it be dandy to have them pop in and let us know the human side of this building craft they do so well?? While I realize the time and energy they put into these accordions, these are details which would help us to visualize and appreciate why it is that these hand made accordions are as vital and important as they are (for the masses that seek to buy and own).

Reality check:
Busy? shucks man, I've been climbing poles all week with a sharp northern wind'a whistling (wind kicks my you know what, but I gotta getter done... and then there's Ms. Linda that wants me to take down the Christmas lights and do this and that (chores), while all I want to do is catch up on lazy matters. Ha. I must be hellish and wicked, cause there's no resting on the laurals with that gal riding the herd. anyhow where was I? oh, yeah here's a thought...

Like ole Nonc George that kept his nose to the grindstone all his life... happens he wound up with a ground off nose when he passed such is life I suppose.

Nonc D

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!