Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Bee Fontenot and Freeman Fontenot

There are some recordings of the late John Semien (on La Louisiane), Joe Semien that were very fine in the old-time creole style. There is also Nolton Semien who has played in recent times with Jeffrey Broussard . I don't know if recordings presently exist. It's wonderful music.

Re: Bee Fontenot and Freeman Fontenot

There is a new CD that Joe Hall made that includes a number of fine tunes by Nolton Simien, Mary Broussard, and (of course) Joe Hall. It is titled "La Danse Finis Pas" with the subtitle "Classic Louisiana Creole Music." The CD is dedicated to Freeman Fontenot. I believe that Joe financed the CD. It is not on a label.

I recommend it! It is very good, and I know that joe would appreciate your getting it. I got the copy at Louisiana Heritage and Gifts (lousianaheritage andgifts.com), Tel: 337-237-0258. Joe is a fine accordion player, and he is totally dedicated to Creole music.

The other recommendations given here are very good, too.

Jack Bond

Re: Re: Bee Fontenot and Freeman Fontenot

Hey Paul ... you've hit on a sound that plays to many, with a throw back on time and style that is still being carried forward through the generations.

There is young blood clinging to the old Creole style, and, some are doing stuff that extends to the hard driving Zydeco as a form of expression.. yet still play traditional now and then to keep matters alive and well.

Griff is right about Les Amis Creole (CD). Poullard, Watson and Adams remind us on this CD that it is ok to sit in the kitchen or on the porch and just have fun musically... it is a great CD for keeping alive the old style music that is vital to a culture. Another favorite of mine, is that of Goldman Thibodeaux and the Latell Playboys.
Gumbo at Goldman's.. it takes that same Creole attitude of simply having fun with the old music. Add into that mix D'Jalma Garnier, what can I say (?) It is simply good stuff that is right for any occasion (in my book).

Jack mentions Joe Hall... here is another example of doing up the old style and keeping that spud moving forward with a new generation. Kirk and I met Joe at Mitch and Lisa's joint a ways back... he is clinging to the roots of old Creole style.

On a final note:
One of my favorite musicians (and just a swell kid in my book) is that of Cory Ledet. Although Cory loves that hard driving Zydeco, this young man is well aware of the old school traditional La La music as well. I'm waiting for him to do up a CD old school.

Nonc D

Yep alive and well; The Creole old school continues... arent you glad ? I know I am, because it is such a differant style in many ways when you break it down.

This thread suggests that many of us love Creole music. I'd also add the CD "Poullard, Poullard, and Garnier" and the new recording featuring Cory Ledet and Cedric Watson called "Goin' Down to Louisiana." Their version of Cherokee is classic.

Dexter?

Russ - I haven't heard Dexter Ardoin, but I know you have. Would his music fit in, or is the Ardoin department as separate division from the Fontenot department?
S'b'B

Re: Dexter?

Steve,

Dexter can play the old style beautifully. When I heard him live at the Springtime CZ Reunion last May, he had a full electric rhythm section incl. drums that reminded me of KF's "The Creole Connection." It was modern zydeco instrumentation backing strong Creole-style songs. Mary Broussard played there, too, with her son playing drums behind her.

Russ

hey ya'll,

I think I have every recording mentioned in this thread. Man, some great music listen and learn from.

Some thoughts...

Was the Waxia special on the Mamou Playboys recent CD dug out of the archives? Same with a Greely rendition of a song that was similar to "Bars de la prison" on the second to last CD. By the way...isn't the prison bars refered to as a "Baisse Bas"?

Cedric did a really cool tune on the Pine Leaf boys cd that was dug out of the archives of great old time players. I love that stuff.

I love the way Goldman stops to sing some lines. I tried to get him to teach me his lyrics to "hour too late" by the late great John Delafose. (on my new CD that I hope to have done by summer) It was soooo funny listening to Therese and him go back and forth scolding each other in a kind way. I was trying to write the lyrics, but French is not used to write, but to speak. So it's hard to get the words, especially with a time limit. All good.

Cory and Cedrics new compilation is superb. Must have.

Joe just sent me his new CD and I have been enjoying it. It's very stripped down. Nolten is featured on some tunes. I got him to teach me a tune, one on one at Augusta. One of my best memories from last year. It was a tune he called "Oh bye". Boozoo had his version too. The choud structure went from the one the the sixth minor, which is a very cool sound. Check out John Delafose "la misere mais fait braillier"(also just recorded by our band).

Joe has been pretty excited to learn the Fontenot tunes. I'm going to ask him for more lyrics on the next CD.

By the way, please ask all friends and artists to put the lyrics in the liner notes. That has been a godsend to me. Ray Abshire has two great CD's with liner notes to learn the French from.

PP and G continues to grow on me. Enough to pick up the fiddle and learn the tunes. Classic all the way.

Thanks for all the posts! I usually read them every day when I have a few minutes to goof off and relax.

love you guys
Kirk

Excessive modesty...

Paul - I heard you play at Caz College Theater maybe 5 years ago, and your facility in the Irish tradition was most impressive!

S'b'B

Thanks

Thanks to all for their postings on this subject.. I have learned alot here... and the old style Creole is my favorite genre by far..

Howdy to Paul and welcome to the forum...

GLENN

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!