Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canray Fontenot & Bois Sec Ardoin

I found an old recording from Bois Sec and Canray Fontenot on a video.

Re: Canray Fontenot & Bois Sec Ardoin

Man thats cool. Young fellas. Thanks Ron.

Re: Re: Canray Fontenot & Bois Sec Ardoin

really cool indeed. But there's no color
Gus

Very genuine!

Thanks a lot!
I have seen a bunch of these informal recordings from the Newport Folk Festival, but they have all been blues. This is the first Creole or Cajun one I have seen. Eunice Two Step and Bon Soir Moreau! I wonder what in the world the people hearing that thought!

The sound on the clip was very faint. Is that just on my end?

If you look in back of Bois Sec and Canray you can see two men playing triangle. I guess that must be Isom Fontenot and Revon Reed, who accompanied Ardoin and Fontenot that year to Newport. Isom Fontenot also played harmonica at that festival.

Black and white was not uncommon in 1966.

From what I understand, in 1964 Revon Reed brought Gladius Thibodeaux on accordion, Vinesse LeJeune on fiddle, and Dewey Balfa substituting on guitar. In 1965 he brought Cyprien and Adam Landreneau. In 1966 it was Bois Sec, Canray and Isom. In 1967 the Balfa Brothers appeared. After that, I don't know. Jerry Devillier on harmonica went one year, I think 1965.

Thanks again! I wondered whether footage like this was around.

Ah, the encyclopedia of Cajun music adds enlightenment. I didnt even notice it was at a festival. Bois Sec looks psyched up. How about that foot stomping, who needs drums.

Thanks Neal.

very nice!thanks!

neal sound was low on my end also.

!%?&%#!!@ Priceless! Thanks!
Is Boisec's foot stomping, almost equal accent of 1st & 2nd beats traditional to old time creole music?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!