Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Queen Ida

Someone gave me a CD with I-10 Express, with the key altered by the Amazing Slowdowner.

The first part is in G on the C row, so I'm assuming the original is on the Bb row ( or crossing rows ), then there's a drum and frottoir break, then she comes back in, but in A ( on my copy ).

Did she swap accordions in the drum break, or is there another explanation?

BJ

Re: Queen Ida

Ida is getting along in the years to be sure, though you can find her dropping in to several digs on the west coast scene now and then. She may even be playing the church dances in the bay area still.. I know she traveled and performed with a host of other artists (accordion players and side musicians), including her son which is nick named Freeze (who also plays accordion). I will check with Mark St. Mary (this saturday and inquire about that) as he sometimes plays with Ida's gigs and is fairly in the know.

Other accordion players that would perform with Ida included Mark St. Mary (as mentioned) and there are others for what/who I can not exactly recall. I do know D. Poullard (yrs. back) would play house dances and what not with Ida.. and as he expressed to me once; Ida wanted Danny to do the whirl wind tours with her back in the day that she had such a huge presance on the musical circuit. He could not do this because of his heart, and, that sorta nixed that one. But, on the local California scene and for the church dances they frequently were closely linked (I believe Danny indicated they were cousins..perhaps yes / perhaps no).

It is possible that there were more than one accordion players associated with that track you speak of.

In fact: I suppose it is possible that if it is a recording done up in a studio, in which you could have a pause and an accordion switch... you would not know for sure because the final master on the editing portion would clean up any delay or time it would have taken to make such a switch... I am just guessing.

Nonc D

Re: Re: Queen Ida

I have never seen Queen Ida play anything other than a tripple row. Is that what you hear?

Re: Re: Re: Queen Ida

Yeah - I'd say it's a triple row. Corona II, was what she played, Glenn, wasn't it?

Nonc, I hadn't thought about two box players, but there is ample room in the drum break to put down one box and take up another.

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Queen Ida

Yes, you are correct, she changes accordions during the drum break.

Even though she is getting old and does have another accordion player helping out, I watched her show last year at the Ardenwood festival and she changes accordions in the middle of the song during the drum break.

DP

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Queen Ida

Thanks for that, DP. I thought it must be the case. It's a great track, and that key change really gives it a charge. Wonder if it would sound as good, just changing keys on the same accordion? Probably not, if she sees fit to change boxes.

Thanks again for settling it for me.

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Queen Ida

You have got a great ear to pick that up.. audio sleuth ??

How many of us would have actually thought that there was a box change mid-song..

You should win something for this! hehe

GLenn

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Queen Ida

It becomes apparent when you try to play it along with the CD. I'm not really that clever - but you knew that, you silver tongued flatterer!

How was New Year on the rez?

I took a chance and ordered CDs from Rock-a-Bye and Canyon. Got 'em both. I have to have the grin surgically removed after listening to them.

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Queen Ida

.. .. .. yes you have good ear and if chicken scratching in your semi ( breaker one nine style ) then you are deserving of flattery ( not flattery tyres though )..

Uhm.. I will persue ordering myself..did he take Paypal.?..

No rez this vacation.. Flu instead ugh.

Let me know!

G:

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!