Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bois sec's Eunice Two Step

Ok, lesson time for me. I have been playing what I thought is the Eunice Two step, but after seeing Bois Sec play his version, I realize it is different. My version is in the key of C (mostly buttons 3,4,and 5), whereas his is in key of G (from what i can guess, he is using buttons 5,6,and 7), if I am learning this key thing correctly. And his version and mine are excact opposites on the push and pull. Is this the way it should be when playing the same song in 2 different keys on the same accordion? Can you play them either way? I hope I am making sense, lacking any musical knowledge other than the tunes in my head before picking up this accordion, I am just learning this whole key thing.

Thanks for any attempts to clear my fog.

Re: Bois sec's Eunice Two Step

Bryan,

The version you're playing in key of C probably sounds close to the Bayou Teche Special, recorded on the Balfa Toujours CD "La Pointe." The turn is different in those two songs, but the tune is pretty close. I don't know any reason you couldn't play it in either key. I recently heard Jesse Lege play Chopique Two Step in F, instead of G. The different blends you can get in F really change up the song.

Russ

Re: Re: Bois sec's Eunice Two Step

IMHO the version of the Eunice Two Step by Maurice Barzas is the best.

Re: Bois sec's Eunice Two Step

The only version of The Eunice Two-Step that I have ever heard, is the version recorded by Iry. It's been re-recorded by many artist after that.
the song was played in the second position ( key of "G" on a "C" accordion). When someone names " The Eunice Two-Step", that's the song I relate it to.
Jude

Re: Re: Bois sec's Eunice Two Step

For what it's worth, Maurice Barzas gets my vote, but I don't suppose I've heard them all.

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Bois sec's Eunice Two Step

I dont think I have heard any version I didnt like 'cept maybe mine

Re: Re: Re: Bois sec's Eunice Two Step

Cool, I love Maurice Berzas stuff. My grandfather played fiddle with him (Roy Fontenot) and can be heard singing on a couple of their songs. They did a good version of Valse de Meche that is in Ye Yaille and he also sang on Lake Charles Playboy Special. Cool to see other people like their music

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bois sec's Eunice Two Step

If you really want to hear something hot get their version of Mamou Hot Step.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bois sec's Eunice Two Step

I got to see Maurice once at the Jazz Festival in New Orleans and have to say that he never got the recognitation he deserved. He was truly a great performer

Iry LeJeune's Eunice Two Step? Jolie Catin

For anyone with the Cajun's Greatest - The Definitive Iry LeJeune Collection cd, Eddie Shuler called it Jolie Catin on the record, but it's the same song and a great recording!!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!