Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The passing of Yvon Durelle - A great Acadian hero

Sadly, legendary Acadian boxer and world champion from New Brunswick, Yvon Durelle, passed away last week. Check out one if finest moments on the YouTube link attached, which features a world championship in Montreal in 1958. Anyone who watched that match would agree that Yvon was the clear winner, but for some technicalities, the other guy won.

What a great caracter, whom I had the pleasure to meet two years ago at his place in Baie Sainte-Anne in NB when he was around 75 years old, and still so energitic.
Maz

Re: The passing of Yvon Durelle - A great Acadian hero

He was something. I have some old copies of "Ring Magazine" with articles about him.

His oponent, Archie Moore, "The Old Mongose" was an great fighter. And even though he was a little older in that match, to knock Archie down 3 times in one round was incredible.

As a student of the "Sweet Science" and an ex-boxer I would have loved to have met him and heard his stories. It's one of life's little blessings that you got to meet him.

Tee

Re: Re: The passing of Yvon Durelle - A great Acadian hero

Thanks Tee-Jo. Yeah, that meeting we had was very interesting.
Yvon had a small museum about himself attached to his humble house in Baie Sainte-Anne, NB. One day, as I was in the area with my family, I decided to drop by, knocked at the door, and there he was, all happy to receive us, and showing us his museum. We had a long chat, and we actually shot a picture of him and I pretending to spar and throwing a punch at each other.
One of these memorable moments...
Maz

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!