Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rewritten so it is readable

Hi Martin,
All questions are of the same importance here.
First, you're "running out of air" is because you have not yet mastered the skill of using the air by-pass on the bass box. This is the single button under the palm of your left hand. You use this button to help recover air, or expell excess air in the bellow, when playing.
As for the question about the cheeper made accordions, I would only say this: When you get a chance to play on a good quality instrument, you'll have the answer to your question.
Jude

Re: Re: Rewritten so it is readable

Thanks Jude. So is there an accordian beteen $140 and $1800 that would be satisfying to an old fiddler who likes the sound of cajun accordions and wants to learn a few tunes?

Thanks again,
Martin

Re: Re: Re: Rewritten so it is readable

Great questions Martin. I too am a rank beginner playing the same box you are and have had (and having)the same problems you experience. I did help the problem some by tightening up some of the joints and tweaking some of the flappers. I am sure a good deal of it though is air management. My question to the braves for both of us would be, is there a instructional dvd that covers those fine points? I am using Dirk Powells right now. Thanks to all the braves for sharing their thoughts and links with us.
Greg

Re: A groaner newbie question

Martin,

Please check your email as I have sent you a message.

.... Ed

Martin, you can try opening your bellows and then pushing on it without pressing any buttons to see if you have any leaks. I was able to find a couple of valves on my hohner that needed adjusting this way.

And to echo Jude, dont pick up a handmade until you are ready to pay for one, because you wont want to play yours again.

Since you mentioned playing guitar, I'm going to assuse you started on one you could have driven a small car between the strings and the fretboard, along with all the other problems a cheapo guitar brings. So it isn't a really a question of not being able to learn on a cheap instrument, rather than having a few built in roadblocks. Jude is right about controling the air button. On a well made accordion, you need very little bellows movement to sound the reeds. Often, on the cheapies, it takes a lot of work to sound the reeds, so not having a frame of reference, it;'s hard to distingush as a newbie where a problem lies.
My first accordion was an Ariette, and to make matters worse, no one close by to show me the ropes. An uphill battle to be sure, but I also couldn't afford to lay out a grand on something I wasn't sure if I would or could stick with. Well, since then, I've got me four really nice boxes and keep the Ariete at work, just in case the mood strikes.
I'm neither praising nor bashing the cheapies, merely pointing out that if the accordion bug 'takes', the sooner you move to a well made accordion, the better your progress will be. The down side to that, is you won't be able to blame the accordion Although that never stops me from trying!
Steve

Re: Re: A groaner newbie question

I recognize the problem with the breathing of the accordion. In the beginning I was often out of air and must stop with playinng. It take practice to get control over your accordion. My question is that if you can play on a "cheap" accordion, than playing on a real good one is not difficult at all ?
Is a very good player good one both instruments ?

Re: Re: Re: A groaner newbie question

Don't forget the point that has been made in the past - if you buy a good used handmade and find accordions aren't for you, you have a better than evens chance of getting your money back. You're lucky if you can sell a cheapie at all.
That's the voice of bitter experience talking!

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: A groaner newbie question

For a beginner, this issue IS a real groaner. I know what you mean. But, here's the dealio... It has nothing to do with the cost or quality of your accordion. Rather, it has to do with learning how to make it work for you. No matter what genre you are attempting to play, Cajun, zydeco or otherwise, it's not all created on the draw (pull). The key is to find the right amount of "fill" notes WITH phrasing on the push to keep your bellows from either over-extending or "under"-extending themselves. It just going to take time; which includes a lot of watching your videos and most of all, listening to the music you wish to create on the accordion. Eventually, you'll be able to find those accents and melodies that will reduce your bellow length (along with the breather button).

Good luck and keep up the good work!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A groaner newbie question

Yes, I'm slowly beginning to figure out balancing the push-pull thing and using the air key, but it is not easy. I have played fiddle "by heart" for decades and I figured I could easily tranfer fiddle tunes to accordion...not so: I find that bellows work is not so intuitive for me, but I am keeping at it.

Man, what a great group! You guys are VERY generous and helpful.

Many thanks to all of you....martin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A groaner newbie question

I forgot to say....it seems like playing octaves and bass and chords really takes a lot of air, but when I watch good guys on videos, it looks like they are barely moving. I'll keep working at it....Martin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A groaner newbie question

I'm pretty new to it too, but I think there may be at least two reasons it doesnt appear they are working hard, both already addressed. They are more skilled at air control, and after playing one Larry Millers accordions after being used to my Hohner, I realized the handmades are just so much more responsive they take less air. Some songs also just plain make you use that air button more than others.

But make sure your accordion doesnt have any noticeable leaks, mine did and that made a big difference.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A groaner newbie question

Oh boy... Martin brace yourself.

That is almost spooky. Now then, if you have a fireplace and ya find yourself develops thoughts of, or wondering what the flashpoint of an accordion is... slow down, take a breath and get into some type of zen thought process.... Accordions are good, accordions are our friends.

Work with five or six inches of bellow (it can work). Take a sticky dot (or a small hole with a pen knife)and put it on button number 5.. you are at home with the pointy finger.
Practice 5,6,7 & 8 push and pull for every combo you can muster and memorize what these buttons produce push and pull. then home in on 3, 4, 5 & 6 same deal.
You can play a ton of songs on 4 buttons.

Work with melody and save the fancy embellished junk for down the line (you know what I mean by junk, not really junk). Play light and soft for now.. the accentuated harder accents from bellows pressure can come later on. Start bassing to the time as part of your exercise.

I'm going out on a limb here: I'm guessing you will get a handbuilt within 6 months. No offence by that prediction, merely a realization of vast differance in accordions. Bon Chance and welcome aboard...

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A groaner newbie question

Martin,
Being that you are a seasoned musician and probably want the best results in the shortest amount of time, I can tell you that if you continue to practice on the Arrieta ( Chinese E-bay Honer copy) you will continue to be frustrated at your results. After practicing every night for four year on my Brown Dragon, I finally gave up and had Danny Dysen of Big Lake LA build me a beautiful, red, robust sounding, easy to play, wonderful instrument, a C dry tuned. All of a sudden, all that practice paid off. I CAN play, after all. The main thing is, it just is so much easier and it sounds so much better. Get Jude or Danny or whoever you wish but get a Hand-made LA box ASAP. I am also in my 60's and I have just started to play the fiddle. Bought a 3/4 kids violin for $ 60.00.
Making good progress but my fingers are too big, so that one is going to the pawn shop and I have several 4/4's lined out to take its place. Will eventually find one I like. The Better Half, after hearing my fiddling, really appreciates the sound of the new accordion!
JB

Martin,

Like you I have played things with strings for decades, even played around a few wind instuments.

Also, like you I bought an Chinese model (Arretta) because it was cheap. At $180.00 I could give it away if I did not like it. Thanks to Mr. Powell and his videos I can croak out a few tune and have had an great time learning.

On the down side, you do get what you pay for. I have had to replace some of the button springs and as your ear for sound developed you soon notice the richness of the more expensive instuments.

As with any instrument when your skill level develops you will know when it is time to move on.

Unfortunately, unilke guitars and fiddles, you do not find quality sqeezeboxes in the pawnshops.

Good luck.
RPr

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!