Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dieu Donne' Montoucet triangles

I just read an article on the New York Times website, " A Cajun Craftsman Preserves the Hallowed Ping of History", which details the making of Triangles, Tit Fer, by Mr. Dieu Donne' Montoucet of Scott, LA. The article states that Mr. Montoucet is 80 years old and may be retiring soon, but his triangles are sold by the Savoy Music Center store. When you go to their site, they say they are out of triangles, so maybe Don did retire. The article said he uses the tines from old hay rakes. I have scoured all the rural areas around San Antonio looking for old hay rakes so I could make my own, but no luck. Most of 'em probably got sold for scrap. I'd like to get a good triangle for my granddaughter so she could ping along with me when i play my Le Capitaine. Anybody got an idea where to get a Don Montoucet or as-good-as, if there is such a thing, triangle?
Thanks.
JB

Re: Dieu Donne' Montoucet triangles

Check with the Millers at Bon Cajun

Re: Re: Dieu Donne' Montoucet triangles - triangle etiquate

Yep that's right, Larry sold/sells three sizes (I believe).
I have one of the hay tine ting-a ling bing bangers. It's big ole rustic one which you can hear for miles it seems. Great for large surroundings and the amplified gigging world of "we need more volume so we can split the ear drums of those that hear, and, allow those that are deaf to feel the vibrations so they too can get into the groove." it's loud!

Also, I have a small triangle. It's a great gentle rhythm sound for those small little intimate social accoustical gatherings. The size that will keep folks from waving a fiddle bow and threatening to run ya through if ya don't simmer down... or, if you continue with that hidious bing banging noise, I'm gonna break a wine bottle over your nugget, take your choice. Not to mention the looks that can kill and cast you to the outer limits of the social setting.

A size for all occasions (take note).
Some of the little suttle details of musical etiquate ya learn along the trail, that's not always told up front from the get go. Huh? It happens.

Call Larry.

Re: Re: Re: Dieu Donne' Montoucet triangles - triangle etiquate

Thanks to both Toby and Nunc D. I will give Larry a call. He doesn't have any sizes or prices of triangles on his web site. It sounds like we better stick to a little bitty one unless we plan on playing exclusively in the back yard, and I mean way in the back.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dieu Donne' Montoucet triangles - triangle etiquate

I hope you get your Don Montoucet triangle, just remember you don't have to bang it as hard as you can guy. Control yourself and enjoy, others playing along with you might enjoy also.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dieu Donne' Montoucet triangles - triangle etiquate

Also try Mitch Read at Louisiana Heritage and Gifts.
He sells some made from hay rake tines. I don't know who makes them.
LZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dieu Donne' Montoucet triangles - triangle etiquate

Layne, Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately Louisana Heritage and Gifts website is no longer working, or at least it wasn't when i tried it.
Thanks again
JB

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!