Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: are there unwritten rules in jamsessions, or when you want to sit in with a group playing?

All the advices are very helpfull. Give eachother space to play with the jam. An collegue of me, a teacher in music and a very good hobo-player once told me, "They play against eachother"

Re: Re: are there unwritten rules in jamsessions, or when you want to sit in with a group playing?

This is my take: for what it's worth...In any jam but especially in a small jam, the instruments should listen to each other and vary the dynamics behind each other's soloing. This is especially true of the accordion, which can drop out all together especially if something quiet like a mandolin or a vocalist with a not very loud voice gets in there. In Louisiana (and elsewhere) it can be frustrating if you are an accordionist, because there are just so many talented players. Too often an accordionist will play on for an hour monopolizing the jam , but one should avoid this even if others don't. I guess one should estimate how many accordionist's there are and play a half dozen songs, then passing on the solo. The idea should be to support the music of the group, not to show off. If one is jamming with players who don't know the customary order of soloing, it's a good idea for the accordion player to call out the solos and to make sure everyone gets a turn!

thank you all for your thoughts

I`ll keep on practising

Wilfred

Re: thank you all for your thoughts

Saturday we can do some jamsessions in Friesland.
Don't forget your accordion.

Re: Re: thank you all for your thoughts

sounds nice Ron, we`ll see what happens.

see you there

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!