Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: This Is A Do-It-Yourself Job

larry miller has a tab book and so does eric martin of france...... here is a link to eric's ebay auction of it....its a great book and comes with a CD of him playing the tabs slow and normal...i bought one but never have attempted to learn anything from it lol...maybe one day

http://cgi.ebay.com/Accordeon-diatonique-Tablatures-Cajun-par-Eric-Martin_W0QQitemZ7423178003QQihZ016QQcategoryZ104652QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Any music you store on your computer (either throught copying a CD, download, or recorded by mic or direct line in) can be accessed by Transcribe. It will then make a seperate Transcribe File of the original and store that next to the original. It will operate off the transcribe file. It also has its own record button so you can go straight from a DVD lesson or CD and record it into transcribe. This is helpful to transcribe Powell or Riley lessons. One responder mentioned Eric Martin's material. I found it helpful but probably will not have the music selections you want. Keep up the enthusiasm, and enjoy. You have some real masters on this forum (I am not one) who are willing to help. For some unselfish reason, they even gave me the time of day as a beginner and that really impressed me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: This Is A Do-It-Yourself Job

Besides the books of Larry Miller and Eric Martin,
there was also a book of Allie Young with a tape and also a book of Yann Dour with tape. The books are a little bit old. I don't know if they are available. The book of Allie Young was a great help for me in the beginning.
I have made some tabs by listening to songs and written the buttons down.
That's a lot of work.
Nowadays we have a lot of help from clever slowdown programs. With this programs you can also change the pitch of the songs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Is A Do-It-Yourself Job

Many thanks to all of you for the help. Great info. I discovered Youtube (Utoob?) last night, and that is also a great learning medium. Stuck here in the house due to the terrible icey weather we're having here in South Texas, so making the most of it to practice and learn. Maybe that;s why the guy in Quebec is such an accomplished player... lots of cold, nasty days.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Is A Do-It-Yourself Job

JB--I am in Brownsville and it hasn't frozen yet.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Is A Do-It-Yourself Job

Good. Maybe there will be a little Orange Juice this year after all. Let me know if you are ever headed up to San Antonio in the future. Our Cajun French Music Association De Fa Tras Cahpter has a dance every month, usually with a band out of LA. The music is usually pretty good. Trying to get a jam session going before the dance, but not too many musicians in the group, just dancers.
JB

I downloaded a free version of Audacity a while back. It doesnt give the notes, but you can speed up or slow down a song to hear the notes better. I have never thought of using it for this until this thread, but it sure makes it easier.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!