Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Questions about single reeds & reed sets, g strings and more (HA)

I have been fortunate on damage/breakage control.
Reason? Well, I suppose it could be that I don't play 'Hard' and expose the reeds to an abnormal high pressure amount of air rushing over them. Another reason (perhaps) is that I don't gig and place any of my accordions through the rigors of day in, day out playing. Gigging may take a toll with a gob of transport, temp changes and all the associated variables that may exist with gigging (just my guess here). Then there's the reality that there are many playing styles (soft, medium, hard and radical)depending on the person and perhaps the style of music they play (Traditional/Zydeco and other).

This also causes me to wonder; Of those that do gig, what is the likely shelf life of an accordion between some sort of maintenance/repair/tune up?

I recall vividly the weekly jam sessions that would draw numerous people together. Among them would be (often times) three or four guitar players. Each week it seemed there was at least one guitar that would cut loose with a PING; A broken G string.
For this reason, I often thought that the G string was most likely, because it was the string that perhaps took the most stress, or was thinest or some logical reason like being wound more tightly than other strings. While strings are cheap to change out and done on the spot, reeds (or a single reed) would require some time and attention, and a replacement reed (unless ya tape it over ).
So:
Is there is any one REED in a 10 button that is more likely to get wacked out over other reeds (?).

How do builders maintain an inventory on specific reeds?
Do they have to break up reed sets?
Do they purchase specific reeds in quantity in anticipation of a specific few reeds being more likely to break than others?
If reed sets are broken up, can there be accordions that have miss-matched sets on a new accordion? Could it matter (example: one part binci other salpa and an antonelli here or there)?
Has anyone ever requested reed (mfg. make/brand) customizing, for highs and lows or varied type of personalized touch to a finished product with more than one brand?

What's the specifics of tensil strength of one reed vs. other reeds and this business of reeds?

How about it BUILDERS or REPAIR WIZZARDS?

Nonc D

Re: Questions about single reeds & reed sets, g strings and more (HA)

I think it depends a lot on your particular accordion, the type of reeds and your playing style. The tighter the accordion (air-tight, that is) the more pressure one can exert. If you play lots of octaves, blends, and the bass box, then there is less pressure...If you play basically single note and no bass box and really "yank it around" then you are much more prone to breaking reeds. It seem to me that the 6 and 7 pull reeds are the most prone to breaking in a Cajun accordion due to the style we play. Normally, it would be the high reeds (piccolo) or one of the middle sets that are most commonly broken, but I have broken one in the bass row, also. I think most of the reeds from Italy hold up pretty well...maybe Antonelli being one of the "tougher" ones in my experience. Binci is what is in mine...I have broken about 4Binci reeds in the last 25 years. I had an accordion with Tupelo (hohner) reeds, but I broke many more of them...probably about 10-15 in about a ten year period. I play medium to hard force...there are many who play harder than me and many who play more gently...I think I am pretty much in the middle. Sean Vidrine who has a La Louisianne accordion has broken many reeds on his 3/4 size boxes...probably because the accordions are very airtight, small, and he plays a very agressive style. I think he has eiher Binci or maybe Salpa reeds in his accordions.

I have never heard of anyone mixing a set of reeds from different manufacturers...at least not on purpose.

It seems that the builders I deal with DO have replacement reeds and they do not like to break sets in order to do repairs.

Re: Re: Questions about single reeds & reed sets, g strings and more (HA)

Chris, thanks a bunch ... while I have a lot of questionable couriosity (and questions), you touched on a gob of what I was seeking and hoping to get answered.

Thanks again Chris... my best to your wife and kids, and, hope you each are well.

Nonc D

Re: Re: Questions about single reeds & reed sets, g strings and more (HA)

I agree with Chris.
The #7 in the high reed bank seems to be the most often broken.

I have replaced that exact reed in Maureen's, Andrew's and Blair's accordions for them.

As well as in an old Hohner I have and Richard Domingue's Bb box.

DP

Re: Re: Re: Questions about single reeds & reed sets, g strings and more (HA)

Yep just broke my 7 push reed on my Falcon. Salpa number ones. Covered it with tape until Randy can send me a replacement. First one I've broken. Have played the accordion pretty much everyday for about 2 years.

Mark

Re: Questions about single reeds & reed sets, g strings and more (HA)

Nonc,
Individual replacement reeds are available. Larry Miller was getting them from Binci before he retired.
I won't go into detail about breaking reeds here but,
in 25 years of playing, I have yet to break one.

Chris, I believe that you may well never break another reed since we did a little "work" on your accordions.
You don't play that hard my friend. I think your problem has been cured. Time will tell. It will be interesting to see if I'm right.
Jude

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!