Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Cajun Mardi Gras

I'll step over catfish to get to turtle meat. Bit of a pain to clean, but its really good. Actually some fried catfish filets go nicely with turtle sauce piquant. Strange critters though, you can cut the head off and it will still be moving hours later.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Cajun Mardi Gras

A couple'a things here about that Mardi Gras business.

First: I got an email with an attachment on it from Kirk Menier here a while back. Sent me his version of the Mardi Gras song... done up with accordion, guitar and percussion... it was well done to be sure!
Mardi Gras song is a hauntingly sounding song (to me)and old timey, always enjoyed it. It envites feeling when ya play it, and I sure enjoyed Kirks rendition.

Second: In my opinion (just my opinion mind ya) You can have N.O. and the Mardi Gras celebration that occurs there! Most that flock to N.O. have no clue and it is media inspired shannigans that would get you arrested any other time, or any other place on the planet.... So I say to ole Ray N.... you got it bro. it's yours.. let em guzzle it up, pitch those gypsy junk beads and take it off right down to the skivies if you have a mind, hope ya get the creepy crud as a result! So anyhow, Thanks Jude for spelling out the real substance and meaning, it is important. It is a wide spread celebration more than N.O. and that's for sure.
Linda and I enjoyed the D'Iberville Mardi Gras located in Ms. when we lived there long ago.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Cajun Mardi Gras

I used to hear there were seven kinds of meat on a turtle. I grew up in Houma. Not sure I had much turtle when I lived down there. Maybe in a gumbo once.

I did have some racoon. Now that's something to leave home about, and now write back.

Re: The Cajun Mardi Gras

I'd be interested in hearing the deeper meaning. Perhaps would shed some light on how "Chanson de Mardi Gras" is a religious song and should not be played at any other time of the year.

Dwight

Re: The Cajun Mardi Gras

Great post Jude. I never really understood Mardi Gras in New Orleans or Lafayette. If anyone wants to see a real Mardi Gras run, come to Basile. I have been on their "run" every year since I was 14.(I'm 40 now)We have our own song we sing as we beg. It can be downloaded at www.lsue.edu/acadgate/basimard.htm
along with pictures from the last several years.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!