Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Calling Joanie - Re: that Purp accordion above

Joanie, I suspect that accordion (first of the three)is purple heart... yes/no ?

Now I did not comment on it earlier (though it's been up there a while)cause the resolution on my toshiba lap top is not as bright as the 19" flat screen on Linda's Dell computer (where I am now) in the other room.

That purple is PURPLE Personified! Just courious, are there differant grades of purple heart (assuming that it is purple heart)? I would imagine that there is, though I am no fancy exotic wood expert by any streach.

I have heard rumor that purple heart (as it ages)takes on a deeper more purple appearance. Don't know if that is true or not... could be a bunch of squeezer yap I picked up along the trail... but lord'a mercy, that box you have is pure d purple for sure.

Nonc D

Re: Calling Joanie - Re: that Purp accordion above

Nonc D ~ Yes, the purple accordion is made out of purpleheart wood. It's pretty close to the color I'm seeing displyed on my Dell 21" monitor. Just took it out and yook a close look at it.

The color has some oddball variations in it where the color is a bit lighter ~ it's sort of in bands or blocks. I suspect it has something to do with the density of the wood there or possibly proximity to a branch or burl when the wood was a tree?

Don't know anything about the aging properties of the wood. I've had it for about 7 years now? Losing track.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!