Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Button box insight

Mark,
I only have experience with the single row "Cajun" accordion, but , yes the distonic is a bit different.
You could think of it as an over grown harmonica.
Unlike other instruments, it is primarilly a "lead" instrument, and it will sound a little "plain" when played by itself. Kind of like playing lead guitar without any other accompliment.
Jude

I have some musician friends who have difficulty playing along because the accodion is loud and the cords are not right.

I have always considered the bass notes a little like the drones on a bag pipe. The advantage is they can provide rythem and are somewhat harmonious.

The problem comes when you try to use them as accompanement, there are simply not enough of the right cords.

Then again, how much dymanic range does a triangle have? Yet I love the sound it adds to the whole.

RPr

The diatonic accordion was designed to be a one-man band. You should be able to play more than adequately without a backing band. Admittedly, you're limited to the keys you can play in and the chords you select but there's plenty of people who play in the European traditions who play brilliantly without extra backing.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!