Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mardi Gras revisited

The mardi gras thread is getting pretty far down so I thought I'd bring it back up. Dwight mentioned about some people believing that the mardi gras song being a religous song and shouldnt be played any other time of year. I love the song so much, pretty much most versions I have heard (cept maybe mine), I can listen to it every day. I had never heard that until my mom mentioned it. I guess to some its like hearing silent night in August. The song is describing an honored event that occurs at a certain time of year, but for myself, I dont see any sacrilege in hearing it anytime.

The celebration itself is definately religous, all it accomplishes may not be. I see it as a community galvanizing event, deeply rooted in ancient traditions that I hate to see muddied up by bigger city events. Each community has there own traditions, maybe rooted in the same history, but different in many ways.

And for all the folks just wanting to head south to see a wild bash with no interest in a cultural event, I say point the way to the flooded city.

If anyone really wants a pretty in depth explanation on the history and innerworkings of the cajun mardi gras, ya gotta get a copy of Pat Mire's Dance For A Chicken (web site #3 above). And check out website #2.

Re: Mardi Gras revisited

I've often wondered if there was a connection between Cajun Mardi Gras and the Acadian and Quebec celebration of la Mi-Carème".
It's still celebrated in Cheticamp and I believe Isle aux Coudes but used to be widespread.
It's a break during lent when people go door to door disguised in masks, and then receive some treats or food.
here's a link to the Cheticamp site.
Does anyone know about whether the Louisiana Acadians somehow combined la Mi-Careme with Mardi Gras?
http://www.multiculturaltrails.ca/level_3/number47.html

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!