Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chere tout toute

Does anyone know where I can find the tablature for Chere tout toute?

Re: Chere tout toute - something missing with tabs?

Tabs ? I know it may wind up me sounding somewhat like a smart-eleky rebel... or perhaps someone that's pecking out a message just to hear his brains rattle... but I gotta ask never-the-less (I mean no offence honestly).

Why is there so much going on with Tablature lately?

Reason I ask:
I tried that tab thing once long ago. It hosed me up such that I had to gawk at the notes which I had written down. and, then turn around and gawk at the treb side, and, then turn around and wonder what kinda tempo it needed...then go on to push or pull hunt and peck etc etc etc. Seemed like it took 45 minutes of flip flopping around just to do one haywire A part. Then, I wound up scratching my head and wondering what the heck is this mess(?).

Had someone tell me once to forget that tab stuff and get aquainted with my accordion... then, listen to the song over and over. Oh yeah, I thought that was pretty agressive advice (alpha dog stuff)... but for me, it was solid advice then, and, it came from someone that I admired knowing he was'nt steering me wrong for what he was saying.

I guess the point is; There are no short cuts (I have heard that one many times)... Perhaps that is what tablature is, a mere short cut. Or is it?

What I can tell ya, is that I am among one of the longest running crappy beginner learners, that ever picked up an accordion (I did get better though). Crimmany, I thought I would never get familiarized with what button made what sound... All the while, I was centered by great players that kept drilling the same ole message... memory work and play by ear, be patient and things will happen. Those were building blocks of good advice.

Patience, it'll come around:
Ok, when?
When is like asking; when's a fish is going to bite.... or when's a brisket is gonna be done (when your hungry and salivating)?.
All I know is, it'll happen. When it happens, you can listen to a song and get it in your head, pick up an accordion and play that melody without thinking about it, without tabs ever entering the picture ... Does not mean you are gonna embellish the snot out matters right away, cause that is the icing on the cake you baked by creating the melody from your well aquainted accordion.

I guess you (everyone) pick a method of learning, even if it meens that tabs seem the way to go (for some). I am not quite sure that it can produce a natural feel for the music, or put a soul into your playing ...but it is a shortcut in my estimation. I somehow still wonder the value of tabulation.

Tabs? What do others think ?
I would be interested in knowing?

Nonc D

Re: Re: Chere tout toute - something missing with tabs?

Well, the deal is “Nonc D”, I am not lucky enough to be centered by great players that give me advice and I don’t have the time or funds to take lessons from any. I realize tablature probably is a shortcut and will not make anyone a master player. But there is no doubt that I love listening to this music just as much as you and anyone else and if pecking my way through the tabs is the only way I can efficiently learn the music I love so be it. Sorry if I insulted anyone by asking such a question.

Re: Re: Re: Chere tout toute - something missing with tabs?

Gdugas, looky here... there is absolutely no insult taken nor intended on my part.

The objective is to learn and house a 'stick-tuativeness with this stuff.

I am simply courious as to how people establish that meens of self education (in the absence of lets say great players)with not only the music, lyrics and playing, but by how they percieve the learning process with this instrument.

If tabs work for ya, by all meens use the tabs.
Unless I miss my guess (it's possible... perhaps probable) the learning process may take a backwards movement to un-bundle some habits that become part of a persons method or playing. I say this because; This very thing happened to me, as a reason I bring it up. Ya see..Once a habit becomes rooted, it is very hard UN-learn and start over with methods that are gonna progress you along faster and further. I come close several times to pitching my accordion to the fire gods... thank heavens I did have good people that advised me go back to the beginning and create a connection ( mental audible connection ) and learn my basics for playing by ear.

There are but few in the world within this genre (in my opinion)that can apply the dynamics of the written score and orchastrate that thinking into French music. Ironnically, I was on the phone last night with Jude Moreau.. as part of our talk there was that little segment that delt with Chris Miller who has (in my estimation)the ability to see, hear, feel and automatically gravitate to an orchastrated score in his thinking without losing perspective of the feel for the music... it is rare... but then, he is a music teacher with the ability be far more analytical and relational than the vast majority that play by ear... he is rare.

I wish good for ya there Gdugas.. it is a hard road to learning, but well worth it.

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chere tout toute - something missing with tabs?

I understand your message and thank you for the advice. have a good one..

Gdugas

we are not as musically talented as you Nonc....alot of us need the play by numbers .

For me the tabs are very helpfull. When I started with the Cajun-accordion, it was difficult to remember all the notes to play. The tabs I written down were my reminders. Also other beginning players use them.
The only way to play a song in the right Cajun-groove(that's very difficult) is listen and listen again to that song or all Cajun music. It's nearly impossible to write that down.

Re: Re: Re: Chere tout toute - something missing with tabs?

Thats pretty much been the case for me. Even though the songs are in my head from listening to them a thousand times, the tabs are rarely helpful to me unless I am already close, but am missing a couple of things to finish it. But heck, everyones different and we all gotta do what works for us. I dont see a lot of difference in watching a video of someone looking at his fingers working and looking at tabs, cept watching fingers working and hearing the music at the same time is just more effective. At least for me, effectively picking notes out of a song comes from lots of practice (I need more practice).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chere tout toute - something missing with tabs?

Tabulature is a tool, just like the Amazing Slow Downer, or a metronome. It's not an end in and of itself and it's not a substitute for listening and getting the tune in your head. You can't show the length of the notes or the rythym of the tune with tab (or at least I've never been able to). But, when you first start playing, it provides you with a little extra traction, reminding you which buttons to press and which way to move the bellows. If you don't have the tune in your head it's useless. If you do it can help you figure out the pattern of the notes (sorry, can't describe what I'm getting at very well).

I've sat with some really good teachers who very patiently showed me a basic version of a tune. I'd eventually get to the point where I could play it while sitting with them, but an hour later I couldn't play it to save my life. At that point the tab serves as a crutch until you get the notes fixed in your memory and your fingers. And once you've done that you no longer need the tab. Just my opinion, and I play lousy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chere tout toute - something missing with tabs?

Like said here before, use the tabs as a tool.
It only works when you know the tune you want to learn, for me that is.
Another thing I`ve learned is, what to look for when you listen,certain chords or blends in the tune can guide you, from that point you can figure out the tune.
And while doing that you get to know your instrument.
I don`t think there are any shortcuts, just play...
play a lot

Wilfred

I totally agree with you Dave.

Hi Dave,

I agree with you 100%. I personnally have never found any benefit from tabs. Instead, I developed and relied on my listening abilities, and I know it has paid great dividends.

We always talk about how different people learn in different ways, which is true, and I suspect that there are those who are able to use tabs productively. However, I am skeptical about tabs in general for a lot of different reasons. The main reason is that it can be a musical crutch or training wheels that have to come off eventually anyway. I have to say that I find it to be an extremely strange thing to see someone playing Cajun accordion with their nose stuck in some sheet music or tabs - it just seems foreign and weird. Another problem with tabs (and sheet music) is that they don't capture the nuances and embellishments that are so important, to say nothing about the importance of individual style and improvisation.

However, one good thing I can say about tabs is that they probably are good for the person who sits down, figures out a tune on their own and then writes the tab. It is well established that the best way to learn a piece of music is to transcribe it yourself, rather than relying on someone elses transcription.

-David

Re: I totally agree with you Dave.

What I cant understand is how someone can try to play a song via tabs without being very familiar with the song, I really dont see that happening. I've heard it said before and for me its true, you cant really play a song until the tune is burned in your brain before you ever try to play it. The one place tabs has helped me a couple of times is when I was missing a couple of notes that I just couldnt get. Oh, well, everyones gotta do what works for them.

Re: Chere tout toute

I have found tabs handy for getting the basic melody into your head quicker.

They give you a start point when listening to what others are doing to the tune.

It does not suprise me that other find them less useful. If everyone's mind worked the same, it would surely be a dull world. [:))

RPr

Re: Re: Chere tout toute

could never have learnt Grand Nuit Special without tabs, although I hate using them. I have a book full of them (Eric Martin/Yann Dour) but normally get upset when I even see them. But without somebody having the patience to play it slowly for you, it is very helpful.
I'd rather hava a good teacher available to help me.

Gus

Well, after all the discussion had about tab, you didn't get what you're looking for in the first place.
I have attempted to write out tab on other songs before. When I do, I try to keep it simple, be cause there is no way I could put all the embelishment notes down on paper.
The problem with this song, Chere Tout Tout , is that , it is not a song that can be played in simple form. If we were to put it down in "tab" in simple form, it would be the vocal part, not the accordion lead. If you think about it, you'll understand what I mean. I know that still doesn't give you what you're looking for, but it may be the reason that you're having trouble finding this song in tab.
Jude

That's a good point - there aren't many tabs available

Right - whether we think that tabs are useful or not, it is somewhat moot because there are so few tabs available in the first place!

When I was a beginning musician in high school (bass and guitar), I discovered that for the music I wanted to play one of the following was true:

1) Sheet music or tabs did not exist in most cases.
2) When it was available, it was so oversimplified as to be essentially of no use, or it was just flat out wrong!

I developed my ear instead.

-David

To summarize my first three weeks with a diatonic, albeit three row accordian.

First, I have not seen tablature yet, if I have I didn't know it.

I am using several methods, the bargain of the century was Senor Maestro from Reyes Accordion (tejano mainly)website. (By,the way, can anyone figure out how to "print screen" in this program?) I also made a chart of the left side buttons, this helped.

The Savoy/Le Det DVD has also helped quite a bit. I am sure the other DVDs are equally informative.

At W***M**T I bought a Yamaha keyboard for the price of a few lessons. It is easier to follow on a piano (for me) and then use "Senor Maestro"

"Feel the music", My mentor has reminded me it ain't nothin' but a party!

Question: Except for the "cheater" buttons (the sharps, on a GCF) is a single row the same as a cajun accordion? Grizz

If you have Windows, you can make a pritnt screen by pushing on CTRL-SHIFT-PrintScrn.
After that the screen is in the Clipboard.
Now you can paste it in i.g. Word or Paint.
In Paint you can select the piece you want.
Enough about computers, I'm gonna play the accordion.

Dave, you can get a few on the links below. There are not many, and may not be what you are looking for, but may be worth looking at.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/cajunzydeco-accordion-licks/

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/CZUnmod/

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!