Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: question about Mardis Gras costumes...

For our costumes, I used a basic pajama pattern and altered it so it pulled over the head instead of buttoning down the front. They need to be pretty roomy in case you need to wear sweats or other cold weather wear underneath to keep you warm. In 2003 when we did the Eunice run, it was REALLY cold and we were out from 6am until 6pm. 2005 was verging on hot. You never know what the weather will be and the run goes on no matter what. Rain is the worst.

For our hats, I used old fashioned metal wire window screening. It worked really well. Most people use poster board.

If you're in Eunice, be sure to look at the stuffed Mardi Gras doll I made for the 2005 Eunice run. It's on display at KBON ~ in the front windows, I think. I was a BIG CHICKEN both years that we did the run, and in 2005 I carried around the "mini Mardi Gras" that I "caught" just like the Mardi Gras carry around the chickens or guineas that they catch.

Take a look at our Mardi Gras slide shows that are on our website in the active Link #1 above.

Re: question about Mardis Gras costumes...

I've been through several mardi gras costumes in my short life and I've learned a few things about what does and doesn't help a mardi gras costume "be all it can be". First and formost I would not under any conditions buy a costume, I can't sew at all really, but I can figure out how to pass two pieces of scrap fabric through a sewing maching. The key is to think durable, not pretty or perfection, this is a suit that you should be able to swim in if it comes down to it. Personaly I always wear at least one layer of clothes under my costume and if I can get my hands on a flak jacket I use it because whips hurt and crazy stuff happens to you in a mardi gras costume. As a rule I stay away from any combination of purple, green, or gold. Those colors are heavily linked to the urban mardi gras tradition and don't have anything to do with the cajun or country creole style. I like lots of colors though, and patern fabric is good your trying to bring a little color back to a lifeless, colorless countryside after all. I tried bells and I liked the sound, but I was always worried about scratching car paint with them so I've ditched that, I can make enough noise on my own. Also, gravel hurts enough on its own without adding metal balls on you costume to fall on. For the mask I've used several things. One, wire screen, but I find this eats the end off my nose so I switched to plastic screen, like they use for that needle point craft with the yarn. I gives you a lot of more comfortable and durable options. It holds it's shape a lot better too. Hot glue and or sew an elastic strap on the mask. For mouth, nose and eyes use anything, but I've found that old panty hose stuffed with cotton works magic, again hot glue. For the hat use poster board to make it stand up straight, you can also laminate the poster to make it last longer when it gets wet and I like to stuff the hat with plastic shopping bags. This goes inside of a cloth that you sew to match the costume, but poster and bags just give it shape. I usally run in old tennis shoes. I think that pretty much covers the basics the rest you can weak for next year after you learn what works for you this year. Just remember lots of colors, durable, and comfort.

Re: Re: question about Mardis Gras costumes...

If you know somebody that rides in parades in New Orleans, ask them if you can have their old costumes. They make a great "base" to build a traditional costume on. And they are made of really durable satin. With plenty of room to wear clothes under.

Re: Re: Re: question about Mardis Gras costumes...(Many Thanks!)

Many thanks to Chuck, Joanie, Sonny, and Layne for the fine suggestions!!! I showed your responses to my wife and now she's getting into the spirit too, which is important since she's the one who knows how to sew (I bet she'll make me learn).
Unfortunately we're not going to be able to make it down this year...but we're talking about next year...God willing. Meanwhile we're going to start working on those costumes and we plan to make them ourselves.
Thanks again folks! I always learn so much here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: question about Mardis Gras costumes...(Many Thanks!)

Gonna put miters on em?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question about Mardis Gras costumes...(Many Thanks!)

Only if they dress as bishops!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!