Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Romero Brothers

Yep what'ca got here in my estimation is priceless!
My jouneys to La. somehow is never quite complete without going to St. Martinville... I don't know exactly why that is, it just sort'a calls to me for some odd reason... and boop there I am.

On one such ocassion while making it a point to have some dandy eats at Foti's oyster bar, I heard an accordion coming from across the street near the gazebo there on the bayou. There is a museum there, and that is also where I first met Ophie Romero.
I hear an accordion and it is like some outlandish varmet call, with me responding as the varment (I meen, who here could avoid not investigating). Naturally, I had two accordions in the trunk of my rental car (don't leave home without em). I sorta wandered over postponing my notion to have a bite to eat.

Brother let me tell ya. I spent four hours with Mr. Romero that afternoon. Although I was hungry and my stomach was growlling I was'nt gonna pass the opportunity to get aquainted with this Romero character. I got an education in elder music that day, such, that ya simply don't get it from but very few places with very few people. Playing an old box with sterling reeds, looked like it had been through you know what and back, I was captivated. Lordy what a sound. I showed Ophie a beautiful walnut C accordion (one of the two that was in the trunk) and asked him straight up if he would consider a trade. I knew what the answer would be (but I asked anyways), as that old box was just an extension of who he was, and they would never part short of the grave. We talked porch talk (for what I am use to) a long time... as a result I got some of a musical lesson AND an education on matters of life according to Ophie. That old man transported back in time and brought me back to the now in the span of about 4 hours. I am grateful for such indulgance and the time given on the part of this elder musician ... he's a keeper for sure and I am the wiser as a result!

I got my dinner all right (much later than anticipated), and it was good (as always)... but more than that, I wound up eventually coming back to California sporting a silly little smile on my face that folks could'nt quite figure out. Can ya ever wonder why?? The off shoots of travel, there are some dandy folks for sure, and, these Romero boys are dandy to be sure.

Nonc D

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!