Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ever heard of bagpipers in Louisiana French Music ?

The French have several different type of pipes (bagpipes if you prefer that term). I saw a film on Brittany last summer at Celtic week at Swannanoa workshops. The accordions in that film looked like our Cajun accordion but were those from France.

I have heard of a Louisiana group called Celjun that was some mix of Celtic and Cajun muisc, but have not heard them in person.

For what its worth, I've been playing pipes (highland and uilleann) for the last 30 years are so. I prefer to stay with the tradations of a particular culture. If it Cajun music, I prefer to play on the accordion, if its Irish music, I play the uilleann pipes. Maz is right about the highland pipes as most consider it Scottish. But it can be the highlands of anywhere, Scotland, Ireland or North/South Carolina.

With all that said, the "Danse de Mardi Gras" sounds great played on the uilleann pipes. Would that offen anyone? I would not attempt the Port Author Two Step on the pipes. Perhaps there are some cross over tunes,but I think you would have to be very selective.

Re: Re: Ever heard of bagpipers in Louisiana French Music ?

Thing is, there was a time when the accordion was looked at the same way, a foreign object not for cajun music. Luckily some kept it around anyway.

I'd like to hear someone play some samples just to see what it would sound like. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I heard the banjo playing cajun music.

One of my favorite sounds is Amazing Grace played on the pipes.

What's the difference between a trampoline and bagpipes?

Q) What's the difference between a trampoline and bagpipes?

A) You take off your shoes when you jump on a trampoline.

Q) What do you call someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't?

A) A gentleman.

(I should be careful, because I have heard these jokes applied to accordion as well)

Re: What's the difference between a trampoline and bagpipes?

A friend recently asked me if I knew what perfect pitch was. He said it's when you throw the accordion out the window and it lands in the dumpster.

Hal

Re: Re: What's the difference between a trampoline and bagpipes?

an even better pitch would be if it landed in my lap.

another joke

David, as both a pipe (French cornemuse de centre and Cabrette) and a Cajun accordion player I like them all.
How about this one:

It is very difficult to play the bagpipe

It is a pity that it's not impossible...

Gus

Two more....

Q)How does an accordion player dressed in suit begin every sentence?

A)"Yes, your honor."

The neigborhood I live in is really bad. Last evening I left my accordion in the back seat of the car. When I came out in the morning to start the car, my worst fears were realized. There were two more accordions and a bagpipe on the seat with my accordion.

Peace,
Griff

Re: Two more....

Where is that place ?
I want also two more accordions and a bagpipe.

un autre...

Ron:

It's a little drinking village with a fishing problem on the west end of frozen lac Erie.

Peace,
Griff

PS:

Bagpiper said "Och aye laddie, I dinna want ya tae think I'm playin' by ear. I kin read music you know."

Symphonic musician said " reading music certainly isn't interfering with your playing."

Re: Re: Two more....

Hwt's even worse than a bagpipe????

accordion?

No, 2 bagpipes

Gus

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!