Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advice on piano or push button

I'ld say, get the Ariette fixed (Hohner does repairs) and learn to play the diatonic. Put the piano up on ebay and sell it. Use the money to buy a LA handmade when you have the basics down and have outgrown the Ariette. Then you can sell the Ariette for cheap or keep it to practice tuning and repairs.

I can get you the address for Hohner repairs or you can dig it up on google pretty easy.

just my two cents...

Hal

What music are you interested in playing?

That will dictate the instrument. Most people who try to play cajun music on a piano accordion just end up sounding like crap muzak. One would have to know all the intricacies of a diatonic, and then emulate that on the PA, and it would be a LOT OF WORK. Work most folks won't want to do.

There might even be someone on here who can fix your Ariette for you. Where do you live?

Dwight

Re: Re: Advice on piano or push button

Thanks for the feedback. I want to play "real" Cajun and get the point about matching the instrument. It's much more than a tune to be transferred to a keyboard. I also love zydeco for dancing-nothing like the stomping rhythm.

I live in Davis, CA, if there is anyone who knows someone else around here able to repair the Arriete. Got to do something, because right now I can't do much at all.

Thanks,

Re: Re: Re: Advice on piano or push button

Davis??? Hey, I'm down in Fremont/Newark area.

This isn't local to you, but there's an accordion shop in Oakland. Smythe's Accordions. He can probably fix it for you.

If all else fails, you can get one of those toy First Act accordions from Walmart, just to get you by until you get your Ariette fixed, or get a good box. And it can always be gifted to the 5 year old.

Dwight

Re: Re: Re: Re: Advice on piano or push button

Dwight, thanks for the referral, I'll head down there on the weekend (if they are open). Maybe I'll take the piano with me to see if anyone is interested.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Advice on piano or push button

he could probably put the PA on consignment for you. I wouldn't expect much if you tried to just sell it to him.

Call him to see what his hours are, or check his website, which might be something like SmythesAccordions.com, or something similar.

Dwight

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Advice on piano or push button

If you want to make it down to Mountain View, I can make the adjustments for you. (no charge) But you will have to get here.

Mapquest says it's 106 miles.

DP

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Advice on piano or push button

Probably be advisable for him to send you a photo of what all went wrong, so there's no surprises.

Re: Re: Re: Advice on piano or push button

if it;s zydeco you like, be advised
that it;s more than just the accordion

if you want to have a band that is

and have any kind of stomping rhythm

wle.

I have played around with an Arreite for over a year now. It is cheap and hence no big loss if you try to repair it youself. I have been inside mine so many times I am thinking of installing a zipper.

Hohner will repair them but I would think the money is best put towards a better accordion.

I can not imagine trying to learn the timing required to get the push-pull sound from a piano accordion, plus the reeds and tuning would not sound right.

As mentioned on the board, if you are intent on the cajun sound you need an LA box. If you just want to play music, some of which is cajun style, then there are more options. U-tube has many great examples of various button accordions and players.

Also keep in mind that your 5 year old will not be any more impressed with Daddy's high end box then he was with the Arriete.

Good Luck
RPr

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!