Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: first squeeze

I didn't check if it's in that movie.
It is possible that I heard it in another movie,
but I have heard something like that.
I will search for it and when I found it I let you all know.

Re: Re: Re: Re: first squeeze

I think it was Hunter Hayes if I am not mistaken...lol

If you find it please let us know.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: first squeeze

It was in chapter 16 from Jai et au bal, whic start with a piece with Boi Sec Ardoin is playing.
The man who's telling this,
"the first time I've read about the accordion was in a Voodoo seance with Marie Leveaux ??, where they had a black accordion player. This was in the late 1800. So I believe it was picked up first by French speaking blacks before it's played by Acadians."
But it isn't sure.
There must be a historical expert who really know how it is.
Please help us ????
But I'm very pleased that somebody is starting to play the accordion in Cajun Music.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: first squeeze

That is entirely possible, but I guess what I am getting at, is someone in New Orleans in 18xx wouldnt have a clue what was going on in Eunice. In fact someone in Eunice in 18xx probably wouldnt have much idea what was going on 10 miles away because of the isolation at that time and the nature of the cajun culture. So proven historical fact will be hard to come by, and most is speculation. Some of the people on these documentaries are telling what they have heard, and may not be fact. But again, that is just my opinion, and I hope someone can prove me wrong. Neal? Cory? One person that may have some info on this would be Ray Brasseaux (sp?), when he researches something, it is in incredible depth, as anyone who has read some his books knows.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: first squeeze

Considering much of the farming populace back then was illiterate, in English and French, I wouldn't think much of anything would be documented to be able to research.

Even the voodoo reference made by Michael Doucet took place in New Orleans, or there abouts, where at least some people were literate and could document such.

Probably going to have to let go of ever knowing the answer.

Re: first squeeze

This article is interesting.

Christian

Re: Re: first squeeze

Nice discussion for a cold saturday morning...
maybe there is more things that can play a role:
-Could be that cajuns would have stuck to fiddle music initially. (you know: immigrants, conservative, et cetera.
-Black musicians could have been more adaptable. They made their own instruments like the banjo, the frottoirs.
-The mouth harp (harmonica). the step from the mouth harp to the one row is a very logic one. Could be that the mouth harp was introduced a little earlier than the accordion? Was adapted by the black people first? Logically a harmonica player can play a few tunes on a one row in a short time.
- Funny thing is the adoption by white players. This states that there must have been a close relationship between black and white. Maybe in the "musicians social class" there was more equality than elsewhere?

Gus

I think it was hard work in the fields, and no one really having much of an upper hand, where there was more equality than elsewhere, and more side by side interaction. I don't think there was much of a "musician's social class" per se. Everyone had to work hard, and they were out in the field with each other every day.

I think I read something to that effect in Ann Savoy's book.

Dwight

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Nice discussion for a cold saturday morning...
maybe there is more things that can play a role:
-Could be that cajuns would have stuck to fiddle music initially. (you know: immigrants, conservative, et cetera.
-Black musicians could have been more adaptable. They made their own instruments like the banjo, the frottoirs.
-The mouth harp (harmonica). the step from the mouth harp to the one row is a very logic one. Could be that the mouth harp was introduced a little earlier than the accordion? Was adapted by the black people first? Logically a harmonica player can play a few tunes on a one row in a short time.
- Funny thing is the adoption by white players. This states that there must have been a close relationship between black and white. Maybe in the "musicians social class" there was more equality than elsewhere?

Gus

The accordion was resisted by quite a few old fiddle players because of its limitations. To some, it might have been like the bagpipes when it first showed up. I sure wish there was more info on this, but there is probably very little, and a lot is educated speculation.

Back then most families, if not most households, had musicians, and noone traveled beyond their communities. So even with the racial barrier, there was plenty of mixing of ideas in communities, whether it be food, language, or music. Many dont realize what is now considered Cajun music, at one time was pretty localized, like many other things, such as the dialects. When people started getting record players, and traveling a little, the music started being shared more, but at one time a lot of the music was different from area to area, look at the first recordings of the Balfa brothers, the Deshotel brothers, and others.

Juste mes 2 sous.

My dad told me that fiddler Chuck Guillory once said that he would like to poke holes in all the accordions with an ice pick.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: first squeeze

Chuck Guillory isn't the only one.
My wife and two of my daughters will do the same with a big knife.
They destroyed now several bellows, but I keep on repair them, just like the tires of my bike and keep on playing.
My third daughter loves the accordion but also the fiddle and she helps me with repairing.

Ron,
Try playing a little softer.

Ron,

apart from the volume, would they also react like this if you played a decent LA made Cajun accordion?
Gus

I don't doubt that you would probably trade that wife and two daughters for a couple of really nice accordions.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: first squeeze

No way, further they are very kind to me.
By the way, my accordions are Castagnari's and they play very good, but I know that they are not real Cajun.

Sorry Ron

Sorry about the castagnari's. They are lovely instruments. And you play well too! The problem is the family, not the accordions.

Gus

Re: Sorry Ron

Doesn't matter gus.
I have also a lovely family.
It isn't bad at all.

Excellent article, notice all the mentions of "it will probably never be known"? For anyone who has not been to this website, there are a huge collection of great stories and and essays.

Re: first squeeze

First RECORDED accordion player was reckoned to be Joe Falcon, of course, unless anyone knows different (Neal?). How about wax cylinders?

I remember my own first squeeze, but that's another story!

BJ

I concur -- Joe & Cleoma Falcon -- probably the "first" "Cajun" player(s) to be recognized as such by the "first" recording. Then again, I wasn't around then. Ha! First accordion player in Louisiana was probably Creole -- very likely in New Orleans. I can only discern this historical info through the same videos and books available to everyone else.

Ta-dah!

T!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!