Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Neal's site

oh man..i sure do miss those blackbird gumbo's, i remember asking my dad.."is it blackbird season yet?"..he'd say "yea as soon as they show up" lol we'd clean them whole also but i noticed over time we just started breasting them..much easier ..we'd just shoot a few hundred more :)

Re: Re: Neal's site

Yep, what's a few hundred black-birds, more or less. Pickin' em all up, that's the problem. We're all coming to your house for rice-bird gumbo sometime before Lent. Remember, Bryan and I like 'em with the legs and wings still attached. If we don't make it until after Lent, we got to have turtle soup. See you soon!
JB

Re: Neal's site

that would be fine..cept theres no blackbird's in virginia :(..but hold on though..i'm moving to florida in a may and the people there will wonder why the turtle population is rapidly decreasing

thanks Neal! is isom fontenot the guy that chris talks about from iowa/lake charles are that plays harmonica? it sounds good..maybe i should switch to the harmonica since i cant learn the accordion? I like the new roy fusilier clips too!

Aw non, lache pas, Chad.

Isom Fontenot, my wife's grandfather, was born and reared in Lanse Megre'until his death in 1972, a suburb a few miles just south of Mamou. He was a small engine mechanic who worked from home. The father of eight daughters.

Isom Fontenot/Roy Fusilier

Chad,

On Chris Miller's cd he mentions a man named Bashoot LeBlanc playing harmonica. I believe he was from around Iowa or maybe Lacassine.

Isom Fontenot was from the Mamou area. Not sure which town. If you are interested in his playing, see the Website link above for an Arhoolie cd, Folksongs of the Louisiana Acadians. Great album! If I were ever cornered into naming some essential recordings that I would need if I were stranded on a desert island, this album would certainly be on my list. He does one of my favorite versions of T'en a eu, T'en auras pus. And the one on the cd called Fiddle Stomp with Cheese Read and Isaac Soileau is really T'en a eu, T'en auras pus. Another of my favorite versions.

I believe board member Kirk Menier is a relative, or maybe it's his wife who is related to Isom Fontenot.

Thanks also for mentioning Roy Fusilier. I am partial to those recordings, too. To me it sounds like just an accordion, fiddle, and steel guitar on Belisaire and Grands Chemins. No bottom, but very nice sounding.

Re: Isom Fontenot/Roy Fusilier

Isom Fontenot was my grandfather. Kirk's wife Monica was also his grandaughter. Web surfing to find out more about him. Not that many around that remember him. He died in 1974. He is supposed to be honored in April at A Festival at Chicot Park. Trying to find out if anyone has info they could pas on to family.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!