Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Must be something in the fingers

I went to see a band last night that I used to play in. The original leader was a button box player, but he died. The band has reformed, and brought in a PA player. The PA player is a professional musician, very good on PA, a local zydeco mainstay for many years, but many of the songs written by the late band leader don't translate well to PA.

When I was walking up to the venue, I saw him outside and said hello. He said "Hey, I've been picking up that little box", meaning the button box. I come to find out he's been playing for a month. I didn't realize he was going to be performing with it that night.

He played it many times during the night, and was struggling, but was playing it at a level that took me 3-4 years to achieve. Not only that, but he was blipping rhythm when he wasn't playing lead. I was astounded. No doubt in a year or less he'll be up to speed. Gotta hand it to folks with that talent.

Dwight

Re: Must be something in the fingers

Dwight,
I would not be too disheartened by this.

He is a professional musician.
This is his "day job".

He has the opportunity to spend all day practicing and getting better.

Most people do not have the opportunity to spend that kind of time everyday.

I think you are doing great.

DP

Re: Re: Must be something in the fingers

Thanks, appreciate it. I was, however, more trying to give him some credit rather than second besting myself.

I did think it was amazing to see.

Re: Must be something in the fingers

I have met many musicians and it seems some just have a "gift". We all can learn eventually but some just absorb the ability very quickly.

Unfortunately,I am not one of them.

Re: Re: Must be something in the fingers

So, like, what do these buttons do?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have met many musicians and it seems some just have a "gift". We all can learn eventually but some just absorb the ability very quickly.

Unfortunately,I am not one of them.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!