Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cajun tuning

Hah! Finally something I might know the answer to. C major is no sharps or flats ie just the white keys on a piano G major (one sharp) is only one black key F sharp, F major is one flat,(hence one black key) B flat. D major is two sharps F and C but D minor is all naturals , no sharps or flats. A cajun box player will ommit or substitute something like a fourth or a fifth for the one sharp or flat(depending on what is needed). Hence the unique flavor . As for D, are you sure they are in D major or maybe using the same system of substitution?. This is my guess. Please respond if you can add to or debunk this theory. Grizz

On a C accordion Cajun tuning = E's and B's 15 cents flat, F's 15 cents sharp. Not all builders will tune the F's sharp

Re: Re: Cajun tuning

Is this special tuning what make the real Cajun sound.
I ment a sort of screaming(not negative) of the accordion.

How close is fifteen cents to a half step? A low E and a low B would make a C minor scale . A half step sharp on F is a G major scale.

100 cents / note 1/2 step = 50 cents

Re: Re: Re: Cajun tuning

Bruce,

It's 100 cents = one half-step (in equal temperament).

If I am not mistaken, the "15 cents" flat or sharp often quoted is an approximation for "just tuning."

You actually only have to bring E down 13.7 cents to get a pure (just) major third with a C that is right in tune (at "A =440"). You would only have to bring the B down 13.7 cents to get a pure third with a G that is right at "A = 440." However, if you bump that G up 2 cents to get a pure fifth with the C, then you only need to drop the B by 11.7 cents for a pure third with that slightly sharpened G.

Paul

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cajun tuning

Sure am glad to see that some of you guys are very educated in music theory. All of this has to help the whole.

Thanks Bruce.

I have heard a lot of stories about Cajun accordions having weird tunings, but I think it is because the C and G bass provide harmonious rhythem not the proper melody cords.

I have been wondering about that too. Is it traditional to just pump away at the basses, even when playing up the 5th in G?

I use a 2 row in AD for playing along with smallpipes in A, and a DG melodeon for playing Irish, or pipes in D. Many Irish box players do not even use the basses, because the chords don't fit. I use the chords when backing up, and lay off when taking the lead, at least with Scottish folk tunes.

How do the trad Cajun box players do it?

Dale,

It has been my observation, mostly by listening, that Irish players use the base notes when they fit or accent the melody. Cajun players seem to use them all the time. However some of the U tube clips show cajun players playing only the melody.

I am sure there are some of this board's readers who have far more information on this.

I have an old 10 button that has four base notes, it is out of tune but it seems to have several major and and minor cords.

I will say that some of the folks I jam with are confused by the wrong bass notes, others are not bothered.

Tnx
RPr

With traditional Cajun music it's allowed to play out of tune with the bass-side of the accordion.
I allways play the bass-side.
Some bands with drums and bass-guitar or bass-fiddle don't use the bass-side on the accordion.
I have seen Steve Riley twice and he's using the bass side both times.
There are ten-button accordions with more bass opportunities and there's something about that on this forum. For instance : you have a G-bass or another on the pull and on the push too.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!