Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: "Sugar Bee"

Thanks, Carol, for clueing the uninformed like me on the Allmusic site. What a wealth of info!

Re: "Sugar Bee"

Voris "Shorty" LeBlanc of Lake Arthur played accordion on Sugar Bee, Drunkard's Dream, and other hits. Swallow used to have an lp/cassette album with Shorty LeBlanc on one side and Sidney Brown on the other, but it is out of print. Maybe you can find it on eBay.

Re: Re: "Sugar Bee"

Hey Y'all,

Be sure to get the version that's on a compilation. The Cleveland Crochet album was recently re-released with horrible electric bass overdubs.

I believe Jay Stutes is the singer. What a voice, eh?

I love this song! I pretty much bought and A box so that I could scream the lyrics out in the key of E.

Best,

Nick B

A friend of mine here in San Antonio, J.D. Fontenot, who is originally from Winnie TX, but his mom &dad are from Mamou area, was trying to remember the name of his 2nd cousin who did the singing on "Sugar Bee". Thanks to all for the input. His cousin's name is Jessee Stutes.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Sugar Bee"

THE CLEVELAND CROCHET AND SHORTY LEBLANC, JAY STUTES SOUND is so classic. there is a great LP called "Cleveland Crochet and the Sugar Bees" on Goldband that I got back in the 80's. Eddie Shuler had the musicians sign over to him all royalties, which was a common yetpretty shameful practice. Nevertheless, if he hadn't produced those records so many of those classic sounds would never have been preserved. That LP has other fine rockin' blues tunes: Midnight Blues, Telephone Port Arthur, Hound Dog baby, Sweet Thing, Kaw-Liga and Good Morning Blues. The other tunes are waltzes and, oddly, there are no two steps.
Suzie Thompson did a fine cover of Sugar Bee on the California cajun Orchestra cd.

Re: "Sugar Bee"

I heard it somewhere by Jo-el Sonnier, can't remember where.

Re: Re: "Sugar Bee"

Jimmy C. Newman also recorded a copy.

Of course, Elvis Fontenot and the Sugar Bees recorded it - on our first CD.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!