Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cajun tuning

Dale,

It has been my observation, mostly by listening, that Irish players use the base notes when they fit or accent the melody. Cajun players seem to use them all the time. However some of the U tube clips show cajun players playing only the melody.

I am sure there are some of this board's readers who have far more information on this.

I have an old 10 button that has four base notes, it is out of tune but it seems to have several major and and minor cords.

I will say that some of the folks I jam with are confused by the wrong bass notes, others are not bothered.

Tnx
RPr

Re: Re: Cajun tuning

With traditional Cajun music it's allowed to play out of tune with the bass-side of the accordion.
I allways play the bass-side.
Some bands with drums and bass-guitar or bass-fiddle don't use the bass-side on the accordion.
I have seen Steve Riley twice and he's using the bass side both times.
There are ten-button accordions with more bass opportunities and there's something about that on this forum. For instance : you have a G-bass or another on the pull and on the push too.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!