Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Steve built one with ebony buttons. Website #3.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

You're right. They're all good. It's just a matter of preference. I can tell you that they won't make or break your playing. I've played with both and the differences playing-wise are extremely subtle.

Really it's a cosmetic thing, so if you like bone or ebony, that'd be great too!

Nick B

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Of course Big," Preferences" that's what it is!.

Now, some of us are "quick, hasty" buyers, and on occasions, I have been one of these, and one should try to curb this tendency, when a lot of money is involved no "preaching") on my part here, what I'm saying is that "irregardless" of the builder's expertise, as a costumer, your'e entitled to be catered to your own desires, and there is nothing in the making of a "Cajun" accordion that's "witcthcraft", or fantasy, everything is feasible.

What I'm saying is that , very little of a "Cajun" style accordion, or any accordion for that matter is "handmade" , but rather machine made parts assembled by hands,Europeans sourced, on most pieces.

So, if the metal buttons are not available in the US, go to the sources.

The customer should "always" win.

Say, there is a shortage of metal buttons, well, you can always email the european builders to see if they stock them, Hohner is another source.

Try Wilson Music Services 1 888 720 4277, he's a accordion repair guy, just outside of Toronto, Canada, in the "burgs" and he supplies Hohner parts for accordion repair people.

They are a half dozen European 1 rows accordeon makers ,and I'll be darned if one of them doesn't have what you need.

Ok, say you find some, but they are smaller in diameter, then " DO NOT FORGET TO ADVIZE YOUR BUILDER"
before he bores the buttons holes on your treble board, as the new buttons will be smaller then the old ones, tell him that they are on their way, and to hold on with the machining .

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Perhaps you are dummer than people think. There is pretty much of a cajun style accordion that is handmade. For starters the whold wooden part of the accordion which includes the frames, key boards, bass and treble, and the endplates with the registers. All of bass valves and the arms and flappers for the treble side. Come on guy, look around. It's not just assembling parts.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Sir,

But very respectfully, "ALL" or most of the wooden parts in a "Cajun" accordion, are " fabricated with electrically powered machines, including , table saws, drills, thickness planers, sanders etc!, (of course not necesseraly in that order), using a variety of Jigs, witch are bought or passed along the builders.

And most of the different metal parts , like reeds and bellows are jobbed from overseas european sources.

Gone are the days when buiders use to make their own parts, only a hand few now do it, if not.

BTW, "ANY" professional cabinet maker in the whole world should be able to reproduce "ANY" and "ALL" of the wooden parts of a Cajun accordion, since "ALL" of them are made with machines, almost with out exception, ther is no science here , nothing handmade here.

But "Handmade" has a nice "Crafty" tone to it, and although it is not true, more the power to anyone who wants to call it that way.

I'm taking exception to your insult but will take it in the concept of sheer ignorance on your part.

Again, respectfully.

Claude.

BTW, there is a video somewhere of Marc Savoy, making reed blocks using a table saw, but I'm sure youv'e not seen it .

Re: Re: Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Hey guys these instruments are a lot of work and expense to build so surely the builders will give you the option of plastic or metal buttons but be ready to put your money where your mouth is.

Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Sorry I've been MIA lately. The plastic buttons are pretty cool although I prefer the chrome. But on the yellow/black Falcon, I wanted black buttons. Randy asked Jr. to snag some on a trip he took to Italy back in '96 -- which he did -- and those are the ones I got installed by Randy. They are black plastic 3-row buttons... They are just cosmetic IMHO; there's no apparent advantages or disadvantages with them. They don't make me play faster, slower, lighter or (you get the picture!) I prefer the chrome over the plastic just because they are flat-topped I presume.

Here's a pic: http://zydecostingrays.exposuremanager.com/p/allgood_caf_6306/tr4ag60631

Keep in mind, I had to do some heavy "begging" with Randy to make a dual-key with all these specs. It's yellow, has black valves and hardware and is in the keys of G and A. All of these specs are something Randy swore he'd never do... again -- especially a G accordion. The reeds are so big he had to cut into the frame on the inside to accomodate them. During the building, he got really frustrated, but he's da man -- he pulled it off! So I am assuming this box is a one-of-a-kind Falcon dual-key.

R!CK

Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Nonc, since each (at least mine) accordion is different it is difficult to say the difference. On my eric martin with metal buttons (chrome, I suppose?)there are smaller buttons than on the other ones. they are also more round topped. I once posted a question if they could be faster playing?
Funny thing is that I sometimes have the feeling that (after some time playing) the chrome ones polish the horn (callus) of my fingertips which feels strange. Maybe also the acid in the fingers reacts with the chrome? I don't know. Personally I prefer the accordions with the plastic ones. But how big the influence of the buttons in this case is? dunno.
If one wants to have them, try Eric Martin in France.
He might have them.
Gus

Good dialogue.... I am not at all sure that the variance of action even matters (not to me that much).
But it is a differant feel. The other side of of this metal / plastic issue is visual (which opens up other doors). I have accordions that were built to be played (absolutely), but I also had a visual in mind for what "I" wanted.

Since I am the only (mostly) person that gawks at my accordions, looks play an important role (to me). Yes they are all playable, yes they are all hand made, and yes they all function with French music in mind.... so why the visual "I wants" ? Because I want my accordions unique... as unique as my playing and I am ok with paying the price to have it my way (sorta like burger king). I don't (as others dont) meen this to be pampus or puffed up with attitude, these are my heirloom toys that will go to others when it's time to take the big dirt nap... they should be stamped as unique, to you know who.

It is good to explore varying things we would like to have in an accordion... more, it would be good to have builders that can interface with these options and discuss these things on the forefront.

Make sense???

Nonc D

Plastic all the way, why?

I have chrome on one of my accordions, and must say that I much prefer the plasic. This may not affect you all in the south, but when playing outside in winter at a street fare or festival your fingers are already cold, the metal buttons make it worse. Your fingers seem to stick to the cold buttons.

In hot weather, the metal buttons seem to make my fingers sweat more and that make then stick too.

I also play bass and find that the chrome bass strings tend to "rip up" your fingers faster. (That's why I use nickel.) I find that the chrome accordion buttons seem to have the same affect.

So, put me in the "plasic button" camp.
(I do think the chrome buttons look cool, though...)

DP

Re: Plastic all the way, why?

I prefer plastic also. Probably due to larger size, and something about the way my fingers feel on them. There's something about the metal buttons that seem like my fingers aren't going to stay in the right place well enough.

Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Hello Braves,
I have 3 accordions, with 2 of them with metal buttons and one with the plastic. I like them both, but if I had to make a choice I would go with the metal, I like the way they look on the box. My Master box is made with metal starter buttons, Mr Ortego said I got his last set of starter buttons. He was at the point he could not find them anymore in his area. He had to file them down to make them fit on the box. The metal buttons on John Rogers box I would love to have. I have a friend in Arkansas that has one of his box, I love playing it every chance I can get.
MarkS

Anyone can have the type buttons that Mark mentioned. They are 1/2" copper sweat caps which I had chrome plated. I used to use them on all my accordions. Now for those wanting to get this done just remember that because they don't have to be what used to be called triple chrome plated. This meant that metal was first brass plated then nicle plated then chrome plated. So the copper just has to be nicle and chrome plated. If your local hardware doesn't have them or is not able to get them try a refg. supply co. Now if possible try to find out if they are flat topped or slightly rounded. Depending on the manuf. they were available both ways. Also they will have to be polished before plating. So if you do it the chroming cost will be less and someone will also have to drill a little hole on the side at the bottom so that they can be wired for plating. Hope this helps.

Re: Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Hi John,

I love those big chrome buttons on my CAJUN box.Switching back to other boxes with smaller plastic buttons, the plastic ones seem kinda mean - harder to hit square on, although that is probably more a reflection on my lack of skill. But I was wondering - what ARE sweat caps? Pipe end blanks for the plumbing trade? Or what?

Mal Manning (Louis accordions) got hold of some antique victorian mother of pearl dress buttons, with a purple dye in them. Well, they're purple mother-of-pearl, however it was done. He bonded them onto shortened accordion buttons and fitted them to a black stained accordion. Not painted - you can see the grain. Topped it off with stop knobs made from small Venician cut glass drawer knobs. Wow!

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Sweat caps are what you mentioned. They are the end caps used to block off copper pipe in the plumbing or refg. trade usually available at your local hardware. Sometimes if they don't have them in stock they can order them. Paul Daigle and many others feel the same way you do. Chromed Sweat caps were used for his accordions.

I like metal buttons.

I like the metal buttons. I have them on my Bon Cajun key of A accordion. I like the feel, and the look is good too, but the aesthetics are a secondary issue. I wouldn't say that I have a gigantic preference for metal over plastic. For example, the accordion I play the most is my Master Bb which has plastic buttons. I don't feel a huge motivation to go out and get them changed to metal, but it is a thought. However, at the rate I go with some things it will probably never happen, especially now that they are becoming scarce. I would be a shame if a replacement supplier for them could not be found.

Oh, one more thing. A long, long time ago (1990), I was in Quebec and was jamming with some guys. One of them had an Acadian with metal buttons. He let me play his accordion, which was the first time I had a real LA Cajun accordion in my hands (I had only played HA-114s up to that point). Those particular buttons were very different from others I have seen since then in that they were somewhat small in diameter and quite rounded on the top. All the others I have seen since then are much flatter or even slightly concave. I would definitely not want those rounded type of buttons. They were too rounded and felt kinda weird.

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!