Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Pine Leaf Boys CD - What do you think about it?

Has anyone had a chance to pick up and listen to the Leaf's new CD Les Blues de Musicien? What do you think about it?
Maz

Re: New Pine Leaf Boys CD - What do you think about it?

i've only heard the few samples they have on their webpage...i like it....i forgot to order it..gonna do that right now.

i wish drew simon would do an album..i think he has the best cajun voice out of all of the new wave of young cajun musicians.

Re: Re: New Pine Leaf Boys CD - What do you think about it?

Well, there is a CD on which Drew sings on five cuts. The title of the CD is La Clarite, and the band's name is Acadien. You can get the CD from the website listed above.

One of the grat quotes that I have heard happened a couple off years ago when "The Drew Simon Band" was playing for the first time at the Liberty Theater. Barry seemed a little surprised at the lineup of band members; so he asked how long Drew's band had been together. Drew answered, "About 45 minutes."

I don't believe that Drew is still an official member of Acadien, but that doesn't seem to mean much. He and his fellow musician friends are true Cajun music vagabonds...they just like to play...and they are always good!

Jack Bond

I think the CD is shipping this week. The PLB were in Chicago for the
U of C Folk Fest a couple of weeks ago. They're geting better (all of them)
every time we see them. (The young ladies here in Chicago like them a
lot too!),

They did a bunch of stuff from the new CD. Some great new stuff and excellent arrangements. A great new CD.

The future of real, authentic and great Cajun music alive and well with these
guys (and some other youngsters in LA). Fine musicians and fine young
men.

Gene

P.S. I agree with Chad, Drew is a great traditional singer. He's also a fine
drummer and a great accordion player. This band has 4 super accordion
players in the band.

Got my copy yesterday and listened just once so far. If you liked their first one, you will probably like this one too. I liked the song Musicien avec le couer casse and Pardon Waltz a lot. The notes had the lyrics, which is very nice.

yup neal i got my copy yesterday also...i liked the few samples they had on their site but i like the WHOLE cd now...good to see they are staying with the recipe that made the first cd so good plus being much more polished...great job by the PLB's on this one!

Re: Re: New Pine Leaf Boys CD - What do you think about it?

Mine arrived yesterday and I've only given it one listen. I like it. My first impression is that it's a bit more Creole/bluesy (rather than traditional Cajun) than the first CD. They also seem to be writing more of their own stuff, which I think is cool. One dopey question though - Track 5: Mon Coeur Fait Mal uses a well known two step for its tune, but I seem to be suffering from a brain fart and can't identify it - can anyone help me out and name the tune? Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: New Pine Leaf Boys CD - What do you think about it?

Patrick,

That's the melody of Fee Fee Ponciaux (Poncheaux? Poncho? I have seen all kinds of spellings) by Joseph Falcon, later done by Nathan Abshire. Adapted a bit for the vocal part.

I also liked the original by Drew, I Lost my Chance.

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Pine Leaf Boys CD - What do you think about it?

I have a CD of Aldus Roger and he called it
Fi Fi Poncho.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Pine Leaf Boys CD - What do you think about it?

Thanks Neal and Ron! I hate it when I hear a tune that is so familiar and can't dredge up the title to save my life!! Embarassing.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!