Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Anyone can have the type buttons that Mark mentioned. They are 1/2" copper sweat caps which I had chrome plated. I used to use them on all my accordions. Now for those wanting to get this done just remember that because they don't have to be what used to be called triple chrome plated. This meant that metal was first brass plated then nicle plated then chrome plated. So the copper just has to be nicle and chrome plated. If your local hardware doesn't have them or is not able to get them try a refg. supply co. Now if possible try to find out if they are flat topped or slightly rounded. Depending on the manuf. they were available both ways. Also they will have to be polished before plating. So if you do it the chroming cost will be less and someone will also have to drill a little hole on the side at the bottom so that they can be wired for plating. Hope this helps.

Re: Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Hi John,

I love those big chrome buttons on my CAJUN box.Switching back to other boxes with smaller plastic buttons, the plastic ones seem kinda mean - harder to hit square on, although that is probably more a reflection on my lack of skill. But I was wondering - what ARE sweat caps? Pipe end blanks for the plumbing trade? Or what?

Mal Manning (Louis accordions) got hold of some antique victorian mother of pearl dress buttons, with a purple dye in them. Well, they're purple mother-of-pearl, however it was done. He bonded them onto shortened accordion buttons and fitted them to a black stained accordion. Not painted - you can see the grain. Topped it off with stop knobs made from small Venician cut glass drawer knobs. Wow!

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Plastic vs. Metal buttons... you decide

Sweat caps are what you mentioned. They are the end caps used to block off copper pipe in the plumbing or refg. trade usually available at your local hardware. Sometimes if they don't have them in stock they can order them. Paul Daigle and many others feel the same way you do. Chromed Sweat caps were used for his accordions.

I like metal buttons.

I like the metal buttons. I have them on my Bon Cajun key of A accordion. I like the feel, and the look is good too, but the aesthetics are a secondary issue. I wouldn't say that I have a gigantic preference for metal over plastic. For example, the accordion I play the most is my Master Bb which has plastic buttons. I don't feel a huge motivation to go out and get them changed to metal, but it is a thought. However, at the rate I go with some things it will probably never happen, especially now that they are becoming scarce. I would be a shame if a replacement supplier for them could not be found.

Oh, one more thing. A long, long time ago (1990), I was in Quebec and was jamming with some guys. One of them had an Acadian with metal buttons. He let me play his accordion, which was the first time I had a real LA Cajun accordion in my hands (I had only played HA-114s up to that point). Those particular buttons were very different from others I have seen since then in that they were somewhat small in diameter and quite rounded on the top. All the others I have seen since then are much flatter or even slightly concave. I would definitely not want those rounded type of buttons. They were too rounded and felt kinda weird.

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!