Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Contacted Builders...Now what

Not sure you all have grasped what I'm trying to get at here.

What I'm trying to better assess is how you all have purchased your accordions; is it the norm to aquire these instruments thru phone calls and ebay descriptions vs. seeing them in person prior to buying?

What is your take on the smaller builders, or do most of you too play only the big name brands?

And how happy are you with the builders artistic sense and style when you finally see it vs. how you imagined it to be?

For example, when I've narrowed a specific guitar make that I want to buy from a shop I can choose a individual one from the bunch, maybe based on the how cool the wood grain looks in one, or maybe a certain color scheme looks cooler in person than what I would have imagined from just a picture alone.

I've seen 3 bands within the past week, and talked with all of their accordion players about how they had acquired their instruments, and all played Bon Cajuns mostly, also saw a Master, and an Acadian. All instruments looked very pretty, and didn't have all the fancy trimmings either. All of the players had also gone thru Larry Miller directly for both new and used. Most had also never purchased their instruments in person either.

I'm thinking of giving the smaller builder my order for the reason that his look great, and got good reviews on sound and playability, but mostly because there is the possiblitiy that he really does put out a great product for the cost. I think too, that I will be pleased with what the builder ultimately turns out.

Really I haven't seen an authentic accordion that I could say I wouldn't want myself. They've all look cool to me. And I have a good feel for what a good instrument resembles and represents. Gotta respect owning one of these prizes, and I will.

Name brands are reliable and you know what to expect, sure. But maybe the smaller builder will be the future "Master" craftsman that everyone craves. Then I'll have had bought his when the gettin was good.

What'da y'all think?

Re: Re: Contacted Builders...Now what

I see nothing wrong with going through a smaller builder. I do think that many smaller builders provide a more personalized attention to your needs ... before and after the fact. That would include future tuning (if need be) any repairs due to your potential damage (if need be). They will give you time to discuss their creation during and after the finished product.

I think the "name game" is pretty well a mis-nomer (in my estimation).
There are brands out there that few have heard of, and remain a fine instrument. The other side of this is; You will need to do a bunch of research to determine exactly what all the hoots and whistles represent when it comes to a commissioned accordion.
If it is your first accordion... go with your builders suggestion... when you learn your instrument (and it will be very very suitable for learning)and begin to contemplate another accordion (perhaps differant key) this is the time you can get down to the cats whisker about details for what you want.

My first accordion is like my first love... I like it and will not turn loose of it for what it is, BUT I now have another accordion that I much more prefer to play (same key) as it is my ultimate "I Want in the Key of C." Oh I still give my walnut C (first one) it's share of playing still, but I gravitate to the other one as my primo. I just dont think you will go wrong regardless if it is "a name game accordion" or one from a lesser known/smaller builder.

Incidentally, my primo C accordion is one built by a man few have heard of out of Lake Charles... afterwards I had Jude place some of his magic into special tuning and spring tension/adjustment. So there is a glimpse of some of the variations for the before/after on this accordion thing-a-ma-jig.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!