Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reed Trouble - please help

Happy Mardi Gras everyone. It has been a long while since I last posted, but have really enjoyed visiting this great forum over the years. My problem is this: I have 2 reeds in my Larry Miller Bon-Tee accordeon ("C") that are giving me trouble. I have discovered both of them to be located in one of the 2 "Middle" reed blocks- the one that sits "flat" down inside (not the reed block that is "upright") and of which the corresponding Stop is the one closest to you when playing, and whose corresponding air hole is the one at the very bottom of the face plate. One of the reeds - Button #2-(push) at times either "sputters", "rattles", sounds very muffled, or sometimes doesn't sound the note at all. when this happens it is hard to push the bellows, as if it something is blocking the passage of air thru the reed. Having had some experience in accordeon & concertina repair/tuning (years ago), I tried the best I could to remedy the problem by checking the reed for any blockage of dirt, dust, etc but I couldn't seem to find anything obvious. The reed seems to have plenty of movement inside the reed mount & doesn't seem to be hanging up anywhere. I also opened the corresponding button/flapper as far as possible & blew into the airhole for that reed. It seemed to clear up the problem only for a while. The other problem reed is the high "C" on button #9 (push). It is slow-starting when pushing the bellows in at normal playing pressure (however, it will start quicker when applying harder than normal pressure-more than what it takes to get the other reeds to sound), and sounds very "airy"" before the reed starts. Again, I tried to trace the problem, but forgot how to remedy a slow-starting reed. Since I would like to fix this myself, are there any Cajun Accordeon tuning/repair experts out there who could possibly guide me through remedying these 2 problems? If so ,I would be ever so grateful & would be glad to supply my phone #/and or e-mail address to make it easier. Thank you - Jimmy

Re: Reed Trouble - please help

I think of a couple of possible causes, when I think of my own experiences.

My first guess to what your problem is, for your #2 reed, is that you still have some dirt or miniscule wood splinter in the reed chamber. I've had the same problem you describe with mu new Acadian. There was a tiny piece of wood inside the reed chamber that, at times, hit the reed and caused it to rattle. I think you have to remove the flappers to get good access to the reed chamber. Then try to shake the accordion, like when you've dropped a pick inside your guitar, and check what comes out.

Another thing to check is the "gasket" that seals the treble side to the bellows. If a part of the gasket is on the inside of the frame it may be hit by a reed leather and the reed rattles. That happened to my Larry Miller accordion.

A "slow starter" reed may have to much space between reed and reed mount. The space should be as large as the thickness of the reed. Be VERY careful if you try to bend a reed to change the spacing. It can easily be ruined.

Hope this help to fix your problems.

/Gunnar

Re: Re: Reed Trouble - please help

Thanks very much Gunnar, for your help & pointers- I will be sure to try them out & see if it fixes the 2 problems. Incidently, when I was checking out the problem with the slow starting #9 button reed ("C"-push), I noticed that the spacing of the gap on the identical reed in the other Middle reed block looked about the same as the problem reed, so I assumed that wasn't the problem. However, now that I think about it, the problem reed looked slightly "concave" in the middle, not quite as much if any, as the problem reed. I don't remember the correct & safest way to bend a reed to adjust the spacing. Any pointers here ? Thank you again-- Jimmy

Re: Re: Re: Reed Trouble - please help

Everything mentioned could be the problem but it seems that you are threading on a delicate situtation and could easly ruin the reed. Proceed with caution if you must!

Re: Re: Re: Reed Trouble - please help

Sorry- I meant to say : ......."not quite as much, if any, as the NON- problem reed." Thanks--Jimmy

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!