Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Reed Trouble - please help

I think of a couple of possible causes, when I think of my own experiences.

My first guess to what your problem is, for your #2 reed, is that you still have some dirt or miniscule wood splinter in the reed chamber. I've had the same problem you describe with mu new Acadian. There was a tiny piece of wood inside the reed chamber that, at times, hit the reed and caused it to rattle. I think you have to remove the flappers to get good access to the reed chamber. Then try to shake the accordion, like when you've dropped a pick inside your guitar, and check what comes out.

Another thing to check is the "gasket" that seals the treble side to the bellows. If a part of the gasket is on the inside of the frame it may be hit by a reed leather and the reed rattles. That happened to my Larry Miller accordion.

A "slow starter" reed may have to much space between reed and reed mount. The space should be as large as the thickness of the reed. Be VERY careful if you try to bend a reed to change the spacing. It can easily be ruined.

Hope this help to fix your problems.

/Gunnar

Re: Re: Reed Trouble - please help

Thanks very much Gunnar, for your help & pointers- I will be sure to try them out & see if it fixes the 2 problems. Incidently, when I was checking out the problem with the slow starting #9 button reed ("C"-push), I noticed that the spacing of the gap on the identical reed in the other Middle reed block looked about the same as the problem reed, so I assumed that wasn't the problem. However, now that I think about it, the problem reed looked slightly "concave" in the middle, not quite as much if any, as the problem reed. I don't remember the correct & safest way to bend a reed to adjust the spacing. Any pointers here ? Thank you again-- Jimmy

Re: Re: Re: Reed Trouble - please help

Everything mentioned could be the problem but it seems that you are threading on a delicate situtation and could easly ruin the reed. Proceed with caution if you must!

Re: Re: Re: Reed Trouble - please help

Sorry- I meant to say : ......."not quite as much, if any, as the NON- problem reed." Thanks--Jimmy

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!