Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: nice picture greeneyes

Actually the question was ment for Greeneyes.

Out of those four boxes, which is your favorite.

And what brand is the 9 button second from the left?

Wilfred

Re: Re: Re: Re: nice picture greeneyes

Oh, Wow - another lovely accordion picture.
Maybe we should have a 'My Accordions' picture gallery.
Maybe not - Glenn's would take up too much memory and need changing too often!!!

BJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: nice picture greeneyes

Wilfred, second left is a Bon Cajun if I am right.

John, we'll invite Glenn to play us his accordions at youtube. O.K. Glenn?

Re: nice picture greeneyes

Haven't seen any posts by Green Eyes in quite awhile. He sent this photo to me some time back, and I thought it would be nice for the featured photo. I was looking for a photo of an all black accordion for Ash Wednesday, but was having trouble finding one.

some oh la la among em... yo green , ya some peaches there

A dandy looking quad of accordions .... oh la la, an that Pointe Noir um um ummmm ! I only wish I had one of Dicks creations. I could be locked away for the harboring a silly fixed grin for what such an accordion as Pointe Noir could do to me.

On another note:
I have often wondered about those Nine Buttons.
With the shorter bellow, does it take getting use too, on the air thing??

Perhaps I am a goof... but I never use #1 (on my 10 buttons) that I can ever remember, not ever. I know it has been discussed as being something folks use, so perhaps I have missed out on that particular part of the lesson plan along the way.

Nope it is there on trebs, but it is no more than a wart as far as my miserable playing is concerned. I suppose for whoever uses that #1 they are exceptional... so how do ya use it? What song and what part A or B ... I can't fathom it.

Nonc D

9 buttons and that #1

I played my first bandstand appearance this weekend for our little community mardi gras (and to quote Mr. Kirk Menier, that was cool), one song to give the accordionist a break. It was on a 9 button Bellard (anyone know anything about that?). It was nice, but strange, to play one so small. I didnt have any more problem than normal with the air control, but I played the Eunice Two Step, which seems pretty even on the pushes and pulls (at least the way I play it). It wasnt any more responsive to me, which I had heard they were.

There are some 9 buttons, specifically the Imperial by Harrison Fontenot, that are regular sized 9 buttons. He just didnt see any reason to put a button he said so few use.

I have watch Cory McCauley play and he uses that #1 button some, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how or when. His fingers are moving the full length of the keyboard so fast my beer lubed brain is a little behind. I am glad that is brought up. I remember a thread a while back on the #1 that it seemed was mostly used for Zydeco. Do any others on this board use the #1 in Cajun? I have to try real hard to even reach it.

easier?

Our Dutch local hero Wim Nagtegaal (he won this "non LA" award with his band Acadian ramblers, few years ago) can play the first and tenth button at the same time with his fingers. He has very long fingers indeed. Believe me, I saw it. He is the only one I saw, using the first button in his playing. Some folks say that it's only used for the tuning. I remember Cajungreeneyes telling that he thought nine buttons to be easier for a beginner.
If you play the accordion on your lap, the weight doesn't matter. In my humble opinion an accordion which is too light, is more instable. But I never played a nine button.

greeneyes, your opinion please.

Gus

Re: easier?

One person who uses the top button alot in cajun music is Junior Martin's grandson Joel Martin. I played some accordion with him when i brought my accordion to junionr for some repairs. I played a couple of songs with him seconding me, but had to quit and watch him by himself for awhile. I don't know how he does it but he does. As for the Bellard accordion mentioned earlier it is made by Mr. Slim Bellard. I met him at howard noel's jam in crowley a while back. It seemed to be an ok box.

Re: Re: easier?

Brian, I wonder how it sounded, this first button. I tried it but is is so "flubby" (how to express it?)

Gus

Re: Re: Re: easier?

it's pretty cool. i can't describe it,but it sounds good. If you are ever in Lafayette and got time to swing by Martin Accordions get him to grab a box and play for you. He lives right there in an appartment at the shop so they are often arround.

Re: Re: Re: Re: easier?

I've seen Ray Abshire use it in conjunction with a pull on 6 and 7 to get a fat G chord at the end of a tune.
S'b'B

And Claude - my full name is Steven Erdman Blais and I live in Eaton, New York. I don't put my email address on here because I'm dodging spam, or maybe I'm a dodgy character. Probably both.

The S'b'B thing stands for Stevie "Blue" Blaze, which somebody gave me as a stage name back when I played loud 3 chord music on a leopard-spotted Fender Musicmaster.

Re: Re: Re: Re: easier?

Brian, love to come to LA once, But I live in the Netherlands, you see. So it will take some time.

Gus

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!