Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A little-bitty Mardi Gras down the Texas Coast

Rockport is one of TX's best kept coastal secrets. Love the fresh seafood and live oaks there. Sounds like you had a lot of fun, and I betcha helped out with the bead sales! Awesome job JB!

~R!CK

Re: Re: A little-bitty Mardi Gras down the Texas Coast

Man,Rick, I wish Rockport was a secret! Right now everybody in Minnesota is down here. Hey, you got a great web site going for the Stingrays. Need to get you down here to the Alamo City. Didn't check out all the guys in the band... have you got a fiddler? This CFMA group down here got to have waltz,2-step,waltz,2-step,waltz, ect, ect. As for me, a tad of zydeco would add a little life. Not saying the bands we get are not good. They are, and I know they can play some boogiee, right Cory Mc? Guess you got to cater to who pays you. Saw that you mentored a guy named Leif. The only Leif I know of is the accordion player for Zydeco Blanco. Would assume they are one in the same. His band played for the Crawdad Festival in Fredericksburg last summer. He let me piddle around with his King "C" model, and he also had a King "A" that was really Bass, I mean low. Would need two shots of whiskey and a cigar to get my voice in that range. Anyway, he seemed like a good guy, and his band did a pretty good job. Had 'em dancin'
Thanks for the encouragement. Will get to Dallas one of these years and will probably get by one of ya'lls gigs.
JB

Re: Re: Re: A little-bitty Mardi Gras down the Texas Coast

I know Rockport is a nice little stop-over for winter RV'ing folks. But yeah, thanks for the props on the band. We're still new (since April '06) but our gigs are picking up. S'funny, I spend more money and time on the .com version of our website, while the freebie myspace one is more up-to-date! It's cheesy but so easy, ya know! We don't have a fiddle -- but it would be nice if I could get our rubboard player to pick it up for a couple of tunes. He's quite good on the guitar and drums when they aren't occupied! We don't do a lot of traditional music, but we've got a couple of Cajun-styled originals that would lend themselves well to fiddle, fo sho.

Don't know if we'll play outside the greater DFW area anytime soon -- but if the money or exposure was right, we'd certainly consider it. Right now we are looking at a few weeks off to begin recording in the studio 3/10/07.

Leif is a cool cat -- we are talkin' 'bout the same guy. He and I got started here in Dallas at the same time playing accordion, circa 1993. He really spurred my interest on as he and I formed our first band together. At that time he was playing the box and I was scrubbing the board. All it took for me was pickin' up the box a few times and I was hooked!

Leif's Cajun Kings are cool boxes -- that's what he likes and they fit his sound and playing well. He's also got a Martin D, which is a beautiful purple box.

We do what we gotta do north of H-Town... there's not many C&Z bands up this way -- we're IT in a metroplex of 8 million folks. I wish more folks in North Central Texas would understand there's more to music than country, blues and alt-rock. But we workin' on 'em! One tune and one gig at a time, bro!

Good in da hood,

R!CK "T"

Re: Re: Re: Re: A little-bitty Mardi Gras down the Texas Coast

Heck, I didnt even notice the myspace before. Some day I'm gonna actually come catch one of ya'lls gigs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A little-bitty Mardi Gras down the Texas Coast

Eh, we gotta just do some grillin' and chillin' with a side of pushin' and pullin' -- that would be fun too! We in da neighborhood together! Let's get you a band started so we can show NTX how to party!
~R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A little-bitty Mardi Gras down the Texas Coast

You know any musicians that cover trip ups well? Before long, dad and I will have the Couillons back home, he covers real well, but I have to bait him real good to come this far north.

The neighborhood grilling and chillin pushin pullin party sounds better.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A little-bitty Mardi Gras down the Texas Coast

Hehehe... I've been checkin' your posts -- you've got some good questions and answers. I'll bet you are coming along very well on that box! You should sit in with us on a tune or two -- that'll get your feet wet and give you that stage bug. You get that band together and let's do some double-billin'! If you're in Big D on St. Patty's day, we gonna throw down after the parade -- could be a good time hook up and pull a few tunes... and a few pull-tops, of course!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A little-bitty Mardi Gras down the Texas Coast

St Patties day, is that like mardi gras without a chicken?

I am on duty that day, but, cough cough, feel something coming on. Where are ya'll playing, and where is the throw down?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A little-bitty Mardi Gras down the Texas Coast

Hmm, that cough sounds serious; you just may need someone to help take care of you; I have a PDF in medicine, you know.

Dowell

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!