Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
foreigner

There's one thing I know for sure.
I'm not a Cajun.
But I love the music and I'm very interested in the history/culture of the Cajun people.
Are we foreigner even allowed to write/ask/reply on this forum after all the quarrels about "to be or not to be"

Yes, you are most welcome to participate.

The vast majority of the regulars on this forum are people just like you: not Cajun, but interested in Cajun music and culture. And not only that, most of the participants who are Cajun are very friendly and tolerant and supportive.

-David

Re: foreigner

Ah, there was just some slight clarifications going on, and a few of us were touching our cajun side to make sure it was still there, kind of like a kid reaching out and touching his moms leg.

One problem with communicating on forums with people you dont know, as useful as forums are, is the potential for misunderstandings due to written words not coming across the cyberspace the way you meant them, and not seeing peoples expressions. But its all we got.

And being Cajun, I think its cool as hell all you folks from every wherever taking an interest. I wish more folks in Louisiana would. As far as I am concerned write/ask/reply away and ingnore the trolls. The RC's are kinda cute if you dont take them serious, kinda like little pets.

Re: foreigner

Ron,

while i am against certain types of people (cajun and non-cajun alike) who exploit the cajun culture for money..i am ALL for people who take a genuine interest in our culture and love the music/language and want to experience it and learn it and make good music with it.

actually i think that non-cajuns who are taking an interest in our culture are doing the cajuns a big favor because most cajuns of my generation and the younger generation can care less about it....years later these cajuns will have to learn there culture from outsiders because thats the only ones that will know it, its happening now....its sad but true.

RC needs to stand on a corner in Lafayette on a friday night and try to convert young cajuns to accept their own culture than try to prevent other people from learning...he'd prob get his azz kicked though so he's perfectly content to sit behind his computer screen and harass people online.

Re: Re: foreigner

Merci mes amis,

Gus, l' apprentice sorcier
Pays Bas

Re: Re: Re: foreigner

As previously mentioned, You just happened to catch us an odd moment. We definately welcome and appreciate you.
Non Cajuns have been instrumental in the preservation of our culture and it is because of their keen appreciation that folks outside of Acadiana are made aware of who we are.
Who was it that said "A culture cannot exist in a vacuum" Was that Dewey or somebody else. Regardless, well said.
Again, welcome.

Re: Re: Re: Re: foreigner

I had a very dear friend who passed away unexpectedly back in 2000 -- Warren Ceasar -- a Creole musician who played trumpet for Clifton and also fronted his own band, The Creole Zydeco Snap. Back in 1993, I was already doing my zydeco radio show, and I told Warren that I started to learn zydeco accordion and wanted to start my own band here in Dallas, but thought it was a silly notion since I *wasn't* from Louisiana and I *wasn't* black. He looked at me and smiled, patted my chest over my heart and said, "Jack... it ain't where ya from... it's where ya AT! Hey man, you ARE my blue-eyed soul brother."

That meant a lot to me and has been a source of my inspiration. I'll never forget those words nor the gumbo he taught me to cook!

People always ask me where in Louisiana am I from. I tell them I'm not from [there] but I'm getting [there] as fast as I can. There's a lot of truth to that -- every chance I get, I head to Louisiana. My fiance is from Lake Charles and we're tying the knot this June in Calcasieu Parish. There's no question we will move there eventually. That will never make me a Cajun or Creole, but it will put me in the region where I can enjoy the source-spring of my inspiration. And THAT'S where it's AT!

R!CK
(Foreigner... hot blooded... check it and see)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!