Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

It is interesting to note the effects of time and place. When my grandparents immigrated to this country at the turn of the last century, they were discouraged from learning English. By only speaking their native tongue, they could not move on to better jobs. Hence my grandfather remained in the coal mines while my grandmother to be remained in a cigar factory in Pennsylvania.

Eventually my grandfather learned enough English to move to the Midwest and US Steel. By the time the last of their seven children were born only the first four were fluent in the native language.

The culture did not die of course; it was simply converted to English. I am sure the Carols I learned in English did not sound right to my grandparents as they sang the words they knew. Still a good tune is a good tune and there are always enough people interested in the culture roots to keep the traditional version alive.

Preserving the Cajun culture and preserving Cajun music may not be the same. It is my humble belief that the power of Cajun music comes from the blending of the sound of the Cajun accordion, the meter of the music that evolved in the isolation of rural LA and the skills of the players who capture it.

If you spoke only Chinese, A cajun tune would probably sound the just as good in English or French.

What ever the reason, Cajun music is gooood stuff.

Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

If you really want to make something popular, ban it. It's been my observation that what gets "banned" from the public only makes it more appealing, newsworthy and lucrative. Prohibition sure did create a lot of alchoholics and entrepreneurs... and 2LiveCrew sure did sell a lot of CDs. I think I'll do my weekly zydeco radio show tonight with a Cuban accent.

~R!CK
(Proud American Louisiana-holic from Texas)

Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

Thanks for reminding me about the show. Now for a little zydeco flan.

Re: Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

mmmm... zydeco, flan and a big stinkin' Habana Cohiba! (Dominican cigars are just as good -- but they aren't banned). I'll send you a shout-out.

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!