Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Straps

Hey Dwight, still gettin' splinters from that wood rubboard?

I've tried using two straps, and it does make it easier to hold your box when you're standing. Jonno Frischberg plays this way.

I've bought several sets of straps on Ebay...measured what length I wanted, and bought accordingly, with good results. They're always out there.

See you in July?

Re: Re: Straps

Chuckles, mon ami,

Haven't been playing my wooden rubboard lately. I built it to take part in Irish jams, and I realized my brain is not big enough for Irish and Cajun.

I do use it for traveling though, as I can hinge it and fold it and fit it into a carry-on. I like longer boards. My arms are longer.

I don't think I'll be back there in July. I started out being sure I wasn't, then started quibbling, then looked at the bills I still need to pay down, then looked at the teacher lineup, and...well, I think I'm going to pay bills this year.

Howz bayou?

Dwight

Re: Re: Re: Straps

Sorry you won't be makin' it, enjoyed your company and unique point of view. I do understand about the bills, though. Although being quite that sensible would be a stretch for me. I'll give you a shout out next time I'm headed for the Worst Coast.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Straps

"the Worst Coast."

HEY! I missed that.

Now all you'll get from me when you come is tofu boudin.

Get some nylon webbing from REI and make one up yourself. Pad it with some old foam if you want. Pin it first to get the adjustment right. Then you will know what you want. Either get a proper one made from your pattern or just do it yourself!

Spoken like a true engineer.

Actually, the webbing thing is not a bad idea. I have lots of that at the house from successful and abortive backpack construction ventures.

Maybe I'll use some plastic buckles too, to keep from tearing up the wood on my box.

I do have several pairs of straps right now. I probably just need to put a cross-over strap on one of those sets.

Dwight,

Men's accordion straps would be way to wide and would make your good looking box look abnormaly large.

Woman PA accordion straps, with much less width, should look more appropriate, even kids, should do the trick.

Do not buy used straps as the leather retains all the perfumes used by the bearers, and that wouldn't be to good for your particular allergy .

If you decide to go for accordion straps and want to join them in the back with a "joiner', that is assuming you don't have one, get an old leather belt with a more or less matching colour, then visit your nearest shoe repair man with your accordion on witch the 2 straps are attached , wear it and your new "buddy" will adjust and cut the joiner to length and rivet it at both ends.

The joiner should be riveted as it allows the two main straps some movements.

Voila , Claude.

"Men's accordion straps would be way to wide and would make your good looking box look abnormaly large."

Honey, does this accordion make me look fat?

Yes, Danny Dyson will make them any way you want.
You do need to tell him what you want, though...:)

The suede side out is the way to go!

I love the strap Danny made for me.
I have not seen Danny contribe to this forum in several years, I assume he is still around.

DP

I just talked to Danny on the phone Friday night, and he was alive and well at that time. He is sending me a case for the Le Capitaine. He also hand-made me a set of double leather straps for my accordion. Helps a bunch when standing up. Lots of room to adjust for arm-length, belly-size, etc. Can also seperate them and use just a single strap over one shoulder, as well. Give him a shout. His site can be found by browsing Le Capitaine accordions, or e-mail me direct and I will give you his cell. Right now he is working on my Arrieta, beefing it up.
JB

Thanks.

Le Boeuf Arrieta? Use a lot of spice, sha.

Gots to Kick it up a Notch. Maybe convert it to a "D" or just trow it the trunk.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Straps

Keeping it in the car is not a bad idea, for impromptu practice. Just went and got me another First Act toy accordion tonight, probably for the car, if I don't raffle it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Straps

Hey, Dwight, my next door neighbor's little 5 year old girl just had to have an accordion just like Mr. JB's, so they bought her one of those little plastic jobs. Sounded dang near as good as old Ling Ting Tong's genuine not-hand-made grenade.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Straps

The First Act accordion is not bad. The others are either crap or junk. But I still have to go in and pull them out the box to see if they're adequately tuned, etc.

This is as much as I was able to decipher from your post!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!