Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

I read this recently. It looks interesting , thought I'd share it for anyone interested.

Good News! The Internationally renowned French Immersion School in
Nova Scotia, Université Sainte-Anne, is coming to Louisiana. A 5-week
summer session identical to the one offered in Nova Scotia will start on
June 24th through July 28th, 2007 at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux,
LA. The name of the new school will be "L'École Eddie Richard" after the
ex-mayor of Scott, LA who dedicated his life for the promotion of the Cajun
culture and the French language. In the past years Eddie Richard worked hard
to convince the Sainte-Anne's administration to make this move south. Mr.
Richard passed away two years ago but no doubt would be very pleased to see
that his dream has finally come true. For more information you may call
Dr. Jean-Douglas Comeau at 1-888-338-8337 or 902-769-2114, ext. 200 or
send an email to immersion@usainteanne.ca

Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

Back when I was going to school in Texas in the'50's,Mexican schoolmates where punished for speaking Spanish in the classroom or at recess.
Consequently, we German-Anglo kids got limited exposure to a language we all wish we could speak better now.

After WW I and WW II, the parents and grandparents of we Texas-German-American kids ceased speaking German in public due to resentment from Anglo neighbors. Another language lost.

I am all for the melting pot theory, but boy howdy, lost or forgotten knowledge that was once taken for granted is difficult to replace. Trying to learn Spanish, German, French, and playing the Accordion all at once is a daunting task for an old geezer like me. Sure would have been easier if I could just have absorbed it as a kid.

I can still enjoy a Mexican or German polka, or a Cajun waltz, even if I don't know what is being said in the lyrics. It has to be about lost-love or drinkin' too much, or something about the human condition, right. I don't listen to the DJ much anyway, so who cares what tongue he is speakung in.

So Forget about Banning Stuff.

What makes a person a tollerable human? Then we'll discuss Cajun

Jude, my friend... You are my friend because I choose to call you that for who you are and what you represent as a person... I am very selective about friendship in my litte sphere of matters.....it's not because you are Cajun and not because you have command on the language. Nope

It is because you are you, by your values and moral fiber first and foremost. Such values are the things that cause me to want to understand you and learn from you. If it is the Cajun way you wish to teach me (and others), we (I) become receptive only because you have softly chosen to show us moral fiber and your values first. That is the gateway.

If you were not a builder of accordions, it would not matter, you are still someone I hold in high esteam.
If you were not connected to the French music (though the music introduced us), it would not matter, you are still among those I admire as a person. Where you live is of no consequence, you remain admired by me and many others. I adore your wife as being a fine person and a Lady... and, I wish well with every good hope and dream for your children as they find their place in this world. You and I are parents, husbands and much more, this is our common ground from which we build... We expanded matters by adding music and culture into the mix of this friendship thing.

These things: hopes, dreams, concerns, care and even love, are what marks our success as humans, talking foundation here... without any mention of blood that runs through your veins, or what geneological name you go by.

Your recall of those things that WERE, WHEN THEY WERE AND HOW THEY WERE, is good for how we (you and others) manage your life (our life).
These things should never be forgotten, they do need positive management howeve. Managing to maintain the purpose of existing within a mad-cap world and incorporating it into the lessons for people like me and others. The old ways, have given way to a new process, sure it's true. Understanding the old is a great advantage to understanding progress in the physical world, which is an evolving world.

Values however, hold no ties to a time line.
Good values of moral character, are as vital to our being today, as they were back when... and long into the future when you and I are but a memory.

You are the Ambassidor of a Culture for which you are affiliated with genetically, in every right way. Do realize, that there are many among your culture that wish to be an ambassidor, with little or no comprehension of how to be effective in doing it. Perhaps that is why all the hostile loonacy emerges with ranting and raving of this and that. There have been some half crazed magpies pecking on the keys of late.... which tells me that computers are making an appearance in places where unfortunate miserable souls exist.

Grooming of a good Ambassidor begins with carefull consideration among your own, and, it graciously branches out to others such as me and the thousands of Le Americans that thirst to know and understand your culture, from the heart.

To each: Live and learn well as a Person first, and, it is very possible that you can live and learn of a Cajun heart... for those things that really matter to a specific Culture and Heritage.

Folks .. each and every one of you:
If you liked what you read of this Nonc philosophy business... send $5 to me and the "let's keep hound dogs howling foundation of higher learning." Address.... well never mind (trying to break the tension here).

Now Listen: Some of you youngsters may find this blaa blaa blaa (we got any youngsters here? or are the over on that gad dang My Space goofy thing??).. but ya need to take note.. your day is coming within a fast track world. Where even you may wind up slowing down to smell the roses now and then and wondering "What the Heck all the ranting and raving is about." Till then, good day .. I'm out'a town, gone to Reno Nevada: slot machines, black jack, booze and scanty looking women... it's a tuff way of living but I'm on a mission.

(best to ya Jude and everyone else that's sane)
Nonc D

Re: What makes a person a tollerable human? Then we'll discuss Cajun

And I already had $5 ready.

Re: Re: What makes a person a tollerable human? Then we'll discuss Cajun

Hey Nonc, while I may be on myspace, I spend a hell of a lot more time here. I guess I am one of the fortunate ones my age. I am only 25 but I have understood French since before I could remember. My grandmother spoke 75% French and did so with me all my life. I am not the best at holding a conversation, but I could hold my own if need arose. Going back to something Bryan said about not understanding some words and phrases until Uncle Sam came along. I didn't know what the hell French Toast was until I started dating my wife (8 years ago). I always knew it as Pain Perdu. Her family thought that was hilarious. And stew was never called stew, it was a fricasse. Funny how I was surrounded by all this when I was younger, but it is only the past 3 or 4 years that my interest in my culture has grown. Now, I am consumed by it. I wake up on the weekends just to listen to those **** addictive early morning cajun programs. In a way, we are all Cajun now in our own way. Mr. Andrew Cormier was telling me this weekend that we all like a bunch of mutts ( a mixture of Cajun, Creole, Mexican, Black, White, whatever). I laughed about it b/c I understand what he is saying now even though I am quite sure that the term Mutt may offend some. So enough of my ramblings. I usually don't chime in quite like this. A plus tard mes amis!

Joey

Re: Re: Re: What makes a person a tollerable human? Then we'll discuss Cajun

Joey... in some ways I envey your youth, while at the same time I would not trade all my years of learning from the old dogs this and that... no matter if they are mutts or even pedigrees. Ya gotta walk that mile.

You are what matters most to folks like me at this point of living... It's the matter of carring on, while still absorbing the messages of these true old dogs to make you a seasoned human being that we will hand down all things including a small segment of a culture.

Joey, you are living in uncharted times... Unusual times.
America is no longer a melting pot ... some say it is a salad bowl even a cauldron. Your American French heritage is by far smaller today (in comparrison) to other cultures that have flocked here through pried open gates, flocking here not paying a price like those that came long before with a rich history in this country. Your task at this point, is far greater for maintaining your identity as a culture, than you may realize. Because the focus has become seemingly migrated to those who entered the flood gates and have no tenure with the formation of this nation through the sweat and tears,successes and failure., There is serious risk of it slipping away.

Folks like me (and others on this board) are by far more a friend to the French speaking americans than you may well realize, in these uncharted and unusual times.

There is the risky uncertainty that all cultures housing "good tenure in this nation" will wind up being in the same forgotten boat at some point. We owe it to our great grandfathers, grandfathers and parents.. to maintain what they contributed to the big picture of Americana. Accordions made in this (country in this small sence of the word), is Americana as much as the segment of French speaking americans who have carved out their place rightfully from sweat and tears and music on the weekends. If the waters don't sweep us away, the flood of upcoming other cultures may. Stay true... even if it meens sitting in with the old mutts. They each have a story to tell. Joey no offence on my space thing... my granddaughter loves that thing! ha

Not trying to rile anyone, just telling it as I see it.

Nonc D

Hold on to your Cajun Culture and pass it on to your children.
Your heritage is one of the most precious gifts your parents gave.

.... Ed Harrison

Another thing Jude, I have been noticing a few singers singing both french and english lyrics. I think this is a great idea because though I want to hear it in french, I hear many young people say "I like the music but I dont listen to it because I dont understand it". So it might be a good idea for this to be done more, though the french and english are usually not exactly the same. It would at least continue the interest in the music.

Well, I said what I said and I don't regret it. I always hear people say, "I wish I could speak Cajun French." Well, if radio stations had programs in Cajun French then there would be more opportunity to hear it and to learn it. My comment was not an attack on anyone's character. It was my opinion about the loss of our French language. A lot of things that were originally in French are being replaced by an English version, music being one of them. When everything is in English, you'll surely have a hard time learning the French that your parents spoke.

I never said that anyone isn't Cajun for not speaking French. However, I do believe that the language is an important part of our culture and without the language being presented in the media--being presented as having a value that equals that of the English lanuage--then the language will continue to be regarded as unimportant. Children don't want to learn French. Why not? Because they believe that it isn't as valued as English. This is the same reason our parents didn't teach us the language. It was/is that erroneous mentality that English had/has more value. This mentality needs to be reversed and by having our culture translated into English, we lose a part of our past, we lose a part of our history and in a sense, we lose a part of ourselves.

This is what I meant to say.

---Roy---

Re: Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

Sometimes you can get some of your french language back by visiting Quebec or France. Pharses and words that were forgotten can be learned. Sometimes cajuns shorten things and while this is just a part of the culture and not bad it helps those learning where that pharse came from. For instance a cajun may say ta l'heure, meaning - after a while, comes from the french phrase - tout a l'heure.

Re: Re: Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

This thread is really interesting. I've been reading here for quite a while, participating a time here and there and it amazes me how much people are drawn to this culture. Like Joey said, being surrounded by it, you take it for granted and it's one of the famous old "you don't know what you have until it's gone" Growing up, I had not even the slightest interest in "cajun", it wasn't until I was 12 that something "clicked" inside and all of the sudden I found myself with an imense hunger for this heritage that we are speaking of. One of the reasons that I never joined a band is because I can't speak french and I didn't feel it right that I try to sing something that I couldn't even trasnlate or understand. Some might say that's a load of crap but, it's something that I could never get passed. I worked as a paramedic for 7 years and have transported many elderly cajun people and started out by asking "comment ca va babe", and then got mowed over by a reply in french of all of the ailments and then had to turn around and ask all of the questions again in english. I can't tell you how bad I hate not being able to speak it, but it is what it is.

It's the same story, cajun wasn't cool when my father was growing up in the 60's and 70's so did he learn french, no... does he want to kick himself every chance he can, yes, so could I My last name is Sanner, anyone ever see that in the "Book Of Cajun", don't think so. But I've been here all of my life and consider myself to have a cajun heritage. My wife grew up in the small town of Maurice in Vermillion Parish and guess what, after about 3 songs, she's done. I always pick with her and how she does not know what she is passing on or should I say not passing on ! I might not be able to teach my kids how to speak french, but I can sure teach them how to play the accordion and if that is the only thing I can pass onto my children that is cajun, then guess what, that's what it will have to be !

Didn't mean to ramble...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

Yup, for some of us it is a subject that invites rambling on. Hey Rusty, it aint too late to learn Cajun, especially while there are still a lot of folks around who are fluent. I did it living in Texas a few hours from anyone to speak with except by phone. I'm not fluent, but can hold simple conversations, but I can understand it pretty well. My original driving force was wanting to understand the song lyrics, then I wanted to talk to my parents in French. Now, my kids speak more French than their cousins in Louisiana, and that aint their cousin's fault. It aint easy, in fact it was **** difficult for me, but kinda like learning the accordion, if you really want to it is possible. It takes a bit of the tete dur. If you want, I can make you a list of the resources I used, but the best ones are all around you.

Like we've talked about, many dont realize what they have, and many living there dont notice it fading. If there is anything I can be thankful for in moving away is it made me realize we grew up with something very unique and is worth preserving as well as we can.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

One thing I have'nt seen mentioned is that we are who we are by the blood that runs in our veins. We are the decendents of exiled Acadiens.
And now a little bit about our names:
Folks down here often attach alot to a last name. Case in point, My buddy Ben Foushee, whos father speaks fluent French, is assumed to be Cajun while I get the comment "I hear you singing in French but you don't have a Cajun name". (Zuelke doesn't pass off as a Cajun name very well while Foushee, which is not Cajun does.)
I take heart in reading Father Daigle's comment in his fine book; "We tend to forget that when a Cajun woman marries a non Cajun man, their children are just as Cajun as if a Cajun man marries a non Cajun woman. The only difference being in the name the children bear."
My son will carry the name of Zuelke, but I will teach him that he is a Cajun and teach him all about the Duhons and Cambres that he is decendent of. Like many, I discounted that when I was young, and now I don't speak French and regret it. I shoulda paid more attention to Mama and Papa.
There is an amusing little occurance involving the Duhon last name that happened when my son was born.
My north Louisiana mother in law was filling in one of those requisite baby books and came to the family tree page. She asked my maternal grandfathers last name and when I responded "Audrey Duhon" she replied, "No, your grandfather" at which point I explained that his name was a fairly common French mans name. She shook her head and asked for my Grandmothers name. I said "Joyce Duhon" and she replied, "No, her maiden name" to which I answered,"Joyce Duhon" again. I had to explain that it was fairly common for folks to marry third cousins in small Cajun communities. At this point she got flustered with the whole thing and skipped to Baby weight and length and all that.
I'm proud of the German heritage that comes along with the Zuelke name, but I must say, Sometimes I wish my name was Duhon, it would make things a whole lot easier in many situations.
Layne "Duhon" Zuelke

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

Oh man you touched on some deep subjects here that will bore the screen right off most folks here.

When you start talking about blood and heritage, and names, it can start something that cant be finished or agreed on. But you got me going so excuse me while I yak a little.

The whole Acadian/Cajun thing is very confusing and few even in Louisiana understand it, or even their own heritage. What I consider "cajun", is actually a huge blend of many different ethnicities, and a lot of the french ones arent cajun. Some think Cajun only refers to Acadian, but try to find someone who is only of Acadian descent.

In the area around Mamou, Ville Platte, and into the Eunice area, which is considered by most to be Acadian, but most of the common names there are not Acadian-Fontenot, Lafleur, Guillory, Fusilier, Deshotels(and others) are descendants of some of Napoleans army and other immigrants that came from France, but not Acadia (this also applies to the Avoyelles parish area). Then you throw in the Mcgees, McCauleys, Freys, Browns, and a whole phone book full of other non french names whose folks cam to speak french, and you got that blend that I'm talking about. And they all had a part in influencing our music, food, and culture (like the accordion). I had a great grandfather who was a Mcgee, once when someone mentioned to him his name wasnt french, he said "mais it must be french, every Mcgee I know speaks french".

What has always amazed me, is considering how isolated communities were from each other prior to WWI (leading to that 3rd cousin thing), is how much we are the same as far as accent, language, and food, though there are some definate differences, especially in language.

I could ramble more but I dont want any facial injuries from heads hitting the keyboard.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

Bryan,
My father in law was a McGee, but his mother was a Fontenot. He would be about 73 years old now. I remember him saying that when he would dream it was in French. You couldn't get more Cajun than he was.
Kirk Menier

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

Yup, we just cant get too crazy with all this label stuff, too many variations in the gumbo.

We asked dad a while back if he dreamed in French or English, he couldnt decide.

It is interesting to note the effects of time and place. When my grandparents immigrated to this country at the turn of the last century, they were discouraged from learning English. By only speaking their native tongue, they could not move on to better jobs. Hence my grandfather remained in the coal mines while my grandmother to be remained in a cigar factory in Pennsylvania.

Eventually my grandfather learned enough English to move to the Midwest and US Steel. By the time the last of their seven children were born only the first four were fluent in the native language.

The culture did not die of course; it was simply converted to English. I am sure the Carols I learned in English did not sound right to my grandparents as they sang the words they knew. Still a good tune is a good tune and there are always enough people interested in the culture roots to keep the traditional version alive.

Preserving the Cajun culture and preserving Cajun music may not be the same. It is my humble belief that the power of Cajun music comes from the blending of the sound of the Cajun accordion, the meter of the music that evolved in the isolation of rural LA and the skills of the players who capture it.

If you spoke only Chinese, A cajun tune would probably sound the just as good in English or French.

What ever the reason, Cajun music is gooood stuff.

If you really want to make something popular, ban it. It's been my observation that what gets "banned" from the public only makes it more appealing, newsworthy and lucrative. Prohibition sure did create a lot of alchoholics and entrepreneurs... and 2LiveCrew sure did sell a lot of CDs. I think I'll do my weekly zydeco radio show tonight with a Cuban accent.

~R!CK
(Proud American Louisiana-holic from Texas)

Thanks for reminding me about the show. Now for a little zydeco flan.

Re: Re: Re: What Makes Us Cajun ?

mmmm... zydeco, flan and a big stinkin' Habana Cohiba! (Dominican cigars are just as good -- but they aren't banned). I'll send you a shout-out.

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!