Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Calling Glenn from Italy

Glenn, I just saw this italian diatonic box on ebay: What do you think about it?http://cgi.ebay.com/Organetto-Diatonico-in-legno-di-ciliegio-Cav-Della-Noce_W0QQitemZ270093182319QQihZ017QQcategoryZ16218QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
What are the small buttons next to the regular buttons? Thanks for your input.
Maz

Re: Calling Glenn from Italy

Maz,

Excuse me for butting in but the extra buttons are reversals of the main row. On the main row the tonic would be on the 2nd button and the little buttons are probably set up (for a C Major box)

D/C F/E A/G B/C (push pull)

so you can get a full octave run in both bellows directions. I (and a few others have toyed with the idea of setting up these extra buttons as accidentals with varying success - I opted to go for the Italian set up in the end).

I can't remember the likely bass set up for this box and I've not got access to my book but it may be C/G on the top two and F/F on the bottom two.

I believe the Della Noce company have a good reputation but I've never seen or played one.

http://www.dellanoce.com/organetti/visualizza1.asp?pagina=2&id_cat=1

It's Codice 12 on this page and is shown at 580 euros but whether this is up to date or not I don't know (their cheaper end).

Organetti and some eBay opinions

Hi .. I can confirm Orson's description/ evaluation. Yes, a good brand name. Yes, lower end model.

If you haven't heard or played an organetto, you might check them out on YouTube..their sound is very wet and "in yo face".. to play un mic'd at Italian weddings, parties.. Exorcisms..whatever.

That is probably an honest ( if not a tad steep ) price to start with. IF $375 it would be a steal.

Baffetti makes some fine organetti..and if you see something there you like, I may be ordering one for myself soon.

Italian eBay used organetti are ALL overpriced.. as are the accordions ( which are mostly pure garbage ).

French eBay has a decent selection of chromatics and diatonics..more competetive prices.. but dealings can be difficult ( i have had 3 arrive in worse condition than described ).

German eBay..great prices.. honest sellers.. The best eBay for accordions IMHO.

I don't care much for UK eBay.. though have bought many accordions there. Great to sell to, scarce for buying.

Australia is fine place for rare, well-cared for boxes and honest sellers. NZ as well.

G.

Re: Organetti and some eBay opinions

Thanks Glenn. What part of Italy are you in? I will probably go next October (mostly Venetto region with perhaps a few days in Roma). If you're on the way, I might drop in to say hello..:-)
Although I would love to, my wife will definitely NOT let me bring a box with me.. ha ha!

Re: Re: Organetti and some eBay opinions

I'm in a town of 25,000 .. dairy farming community.. rice nearby.. in the Padana plains, not far from the Appenines, between Milan and Bologna (closest city is PARMA ). Famous for Parmiggiano Reggiano Cheese and Parma Ham ( don't call it Parmesan here ! ). Hogs and hot weather in the summer, fog in the winter.

The dialect is heavily French influenced ( most people .. generations later.. maintain a French R still ) from the French occupation under Napoleon..

So.. you have a little Louisiana right here.. There are plenty of accordionists.. most all Piano or Chromatic button.. very talented. Many of the more noted French Musette players in the 30's were immigrants from this area.

All Cajun-files welcome.. Why not come out for the Saulieu festival in France in August.. that is a blast.

G.

Re: Re: Re: Organetti and some eBay opinions

Points noted. But I don't think August is in the cards. Ciao.

Re: Calling Glenn from Italy

Forgot to add yesterday that if you (or anyone) are considering getting an Italian organetto (one and a half row, two bass) the air button is usually in a very awkward position and takes quite a lot of getting used to. (My theory is that the this box developed so that the bellows movements were smoothed out so much by the extra half row the air button is only used to open or close the bellows to start or end a tune - the smallest versions might not even have an air button )

An example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODvZea-iyVY

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=organetto&search_sort=video_date_uploaded&search_category=0

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!