Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lyrics for Boire Mon Whiskey

How did I manage to leave out belle mere et beau pere? That's definitely what I hear, too. I just left out mere et pere somehow when transcribing.

On the verse about the horse. I believe the sense is that his old horse is almost starving. There's no more corn in his barn. He has sold all the corn to make him some whiskey.

Still not sure about the line after his clothes are all torn. It almost sounds like he says hack (a wagon) and a la main (in my hand), but I like the idea that his clothes are torn so he has no way to go to Mass. It goes along with the irreverent tone of the whole song when he says there's nothing to worry or trouble him. Same sort of tone as Bosco Blues, where the man's wife has left him but all he can think about is going to Bosco to bring back a bale of hay for his calf.

As for Eddie's version, who knows whether or not those are original to him or were sometimes sung by Robert Bertrand or others. I think they work more or less as placeholders in Eddie's songs. Eddie's vocals are not particularly rich with stories, in my opinion, just some lines to sing because the tune calls for a vocal at some point. That's not meant as a criticism. I like his vocals and don't need stories when I know his great accordion playing is just around the corner!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lyrics for Boire Mon Whiskey

Yup, who cares if we are a little off on the lyrics, they are close enough for someone to use. Like most know, they never sung it same way anyway. Even new english songs I am not always sure of the lyrics. On another forum, a Canadian guy asked for some english lyrics to one of Joel Sonniers songs and we couldnt agree on those either.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!