Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Cajun And Zydeco Using Club Accordions.

On the second link you can see a Norma Club IV.
These have 4 reedbanks and the older type sounds great. (They have told me)
I think they are a little bit heavy
There's also a type with 5 reedbanks (Ouverture V)

Re: Re: Re: Cajun And Zydeco Using Club Accordions.

I remember last year, seeing on Rickey Reid ( long time contributor on this board) of the "Zydeco Stingrays" web-site a picture of one of his good buddies, Tavis Matte, sporting a Hohner Club.
I think it was an overture IV.

The pic was taken in Travis music room, I think.
The "Club" box was an older one, very, very Deco,beautifull chrome grille, all black bodied, lovely.

Glenn, had one of these for sale a while back.

Perhaps Ricky can comment on the sound of it?.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cajun And Zydeco Using Club Accordions.

I may have ended up with one of Glen's...older Club III, key Bb, black and silver Mother of Toilet Seat, chrome grille, near new condition...I know I corresponded with a guy in Italy. Sound familiar, Glen? It's a great box, wish I could play it. I've got a couple of other clubs too, including a Preciosa, a three row about half the size of a regular one. I think there is a lot of cross over potential for these boxes, and you can buy them for about half the cost of a Corona.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cajun And Zydeco Using Club Accordions.

Man I need to read these threads more often... sorry it took so long to respond.

Yeah, Travis has one -- I don't think he's using it in his set yet, but sure does sound like a 3-row on one of his new tunes.

The photo Claude was speaking of is here:

http://www.mosquitogumbo.com/pics_march06_travisjam.jpg

He was jamming really good on it at his house. I can't remember what keys it is tuned in, but it does have a fantastic sound.

I don't know a whole lot about 3-rows, but I've just started picking up on the style about a month ago. I've got a Castiglione Bb/Eb/F. I've had it about 5 years and never did much with it until now. I've learned a lot on it but I've got a long way to go.

R!CK

Sampy played one.

Mr. Hiram Sampy of "Sampy and the Bad Habits" played a Club of some type. I believe that it was his instrument of choice, but I have also seen him with a standard triple row. He was active in the 60's and 70's as I recall. I have a record with a few cuts of him and his band - it's good stuff.

-David

Re: Cajun And Zydeco Using Club Accordions.

HI..

Yes.. Travis' was from me and am pretty sure yours too Matt.

Old Ouvertures and Normas are superb accordions in terms of sound and construction.. Oveys are heavy but have an amazing Zydeco sound.

The finest clubs are the Hohner Morinos ( either the S or the N ).. from the 50's. Diatonics never got better ( so the builders here say ).

The Club supposedly allows for more chromatic possibilities on the pull ?.. I have heard them as being more dynamic in terms of notes ( not chords ) than triple row.. but am not versed enough to personally lay claims.

I had a 30's Club III which had been stored 60 years. Sorry I sold that one. Loud, Bright, solid, fast keyboard.. mother of pearl buttons..

I have seen Raul Barboza and Renato Borghetti play CHamamè music on a Club.. ( Argentinian Gaucho music in 6/8 time like Huapango ).. and some Merengue players use them... also French and German Folk bands.. But have never spoken to anyone who has really exploited it fully ..using the inside accidentals.

I am convinced it is a very economical alternative to a new triple row..as clubs can be found everywhere inexpensive and high quality.

G.

Sorry.. I meant you Chuck.. ooops. Yes. that was a Corona III Club ..thirties.. NICE box....

Re: Re: Cajun And Zydeco Using Club Accordions.

I have heard of some of the old clubs being used for zydeco and to a much lesser extent Cajun but had heard mentioned of them having changed a few reeds around to get the necessary notes. Maybe this would work for those who might not want to spring for an expensive 3 row.

so how much you want for your used accoridans---teebooger

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!