Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
wet, dry, wet, dry, wet, dry, wet, dry, etc.

Braves,

One additional wet/dry thought ..

The first bands "from LA" that I had ever heard, eons
back were:

Buckwheat Zydeco, L'il Brian & the Zydeco Travelers,
Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Cha's, Clifton Chenier, CJ
Chenier, etc.

(I know now they aren't necessarily from LA.)

These guys all played wet-tuned & Zydeco .. (but not
on a 10-button).

I'm not trying to formulate a wet/dry rule, but don't
forget the piano accordion guys in the W/D discussion

Keep squeezin wet or dry!

--Big

Re: wet, dry, wet, dry, wet, dry, wet, dry, etc.

Hi Big Nick,

I believe that we are all in agreement that the choice of wet or dry comes down to personal preference of the player, and that is as it should be.

And you are right that we should consider the piano accordion folks as well. However, the question in the original post on this thread had to do with single row diatonics.

It was mentioned in the current and past threads that piano accordion and triple row accordions typically have a wet sound. That is the case because these accordions are all imported and there usually isn't any choice in tuning - the standard factory tuning is usually very wet when compared to the typical Cajun accordion.

I know that if there was a choice on my triple row, I would definitely have preferred something drier, but this was not an option. It is *way* wet. The Mussette setting in particular sets my teeth on edge.

What I am trying to do is confront the idea that ALL accordions used in zydeco are likely to be wet, and that is simply not the case when we are talking about Cajun accordions. This is the myth that I would like to see dispelled.

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!